• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Info on solar setup.

15893710376352171823610755365941.jpg

Anyone know anything about harnessing creek water flow for a micro hydro electric turbine?

Been watching a lot of youtube videos but seriously...there are more train wreck videos on this topic than there aren’t.
Would like to run a low head turbine on my creek to try to harness some steady water flow .
I’ve researched several set ups but like I said you have to watch about 50 terrible videos to even get a remote idea of what’s going on.
I’ve got a creek literally right next to my lower cabin and i have access to a creek on top of the mountain that the previous owner already tapped with a drum and hose for a gravity fed water source with a hose and sink.
Works well.
The mountain creek does not flow very hard as it’s a natural spring fed stream but the lower creek has a decent constant flow but it’s pretty flat with no waterfalls.

One approach would be to get a generator minus the engine that provides the rotational mechanical energy to the generator. Use your water wheel to provide the rotational mechanical energy via gears, shafts, sprockets, chains, etc.

That will give you AC power, but the frequency control will probably suck.

If you need a stable frequency, rectify the AC into DC and then convert back to AC with an inverter. A battery pack in front on inverter will help stabilze input power to inverter.

I didn't look, but I am sure you could purchase an integrated system that would meet your needs.

The piped water flow from a stream by itself isn’t usually enough to turn a typical generator or provide the speeds to turn a car alternator fast enough. Some form of gearing is needed. I’d think the large water wheels seen at old grain mills would have the slow and steady force needed to engineer a stepped up pulley system. Flooding would be a problem so having the wheel in its own diversion or bypass channel would be the way to go. Might have issues if your creek is a property line shared with a neighbor and government bureaucracies might try to interfere, so I’d be tight lipped if I were to build something permanent. https://www.askaprepper.com/homemade-water-wheel-electric-generator/

Back
Top Bottom