• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Info on solar setup.

I know a little about electricity, and I looked into getting a system for Grid Down SHTF. It was so expensive, not to mention large, that I couldn't swing it. It's one thing if you're looking at powering a small load for a little while. It is something else if you are going to be powering an entire house for weeks or months. You would need area for the solar panel array. The battery technology you select is a very big deal and is expensive and will eventually need replacing. Some batteries you might end up replacing it in just 5 years.

Just small off grid cabins.

Just small off grid cabins.

The 1st step is determine the maximum power you need. It will be in units of kW. That gives you a basis for your inverter size. Note: Some motor loads require several times the running current (amps) in order to start. That surge current only last for a few seconds, but it needs to be considered when selecting the inverter. Lights, heating elements, TVs, etc don't do have the surge. If you have a cabin like your talking about. Turn on all loads that will likely can be on at the same time and measure the current going into your power panel with a clamp on Am meter. KiloWatts = Current * Voltage That will get you in the ball park. If you are served with 240 volts and a neutral. Take the current measurement on each of the two hot lines and add your results for the total KW.

Anti islanding circuit is for if you are grid tied, you don't back feed into the system in the event of a line down and electrocute the workers

Yes it is built into inverter. Have 5 dip switches on inverter. One controls that. It may shut down because I am running a minimal load. Roughly 500w at 15amps on a 1500w 60amp system.

5A09DBFD-BF8B-4879-91E8-909E9F1A4B32.png
The 1st step is determine the maximum power you need. It will be in units of kW. That gives you a basis for your inverter size. Note: Some motor loads require several times the running current (amps) in order to start. That surge current only last for a few seconds, but it needs to be considered when selecting the inverter. Lights, heating elements, TVs, etc don't do have the surge. If you have a cabin like your talking about. Turn on all loads that will likely can be on at the same time and measure the current going into your power panel with a clamp on Am meter. KiloWatts = Current * Voltage That will get you in the ball park. If you are served with 240 volts and a neutral. Take the current measurement on each of the two hot lines and add your results for the total KW.

Thx.
Yeah it’ll be for mainly some led lights , phone chargers and enough to run a small appliance or two.
1 rule....zero televisions.

My buddy has one of these diesel heaters in his camper and loves the heck out of it.
I’m thinking about giving it a try.

Back
Top Bottom