• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm thinking of going the SBR route

I'd like to get a short barrel AR -- but am thinking of maybe building my own on a Form 1 with a stock. It avoids present and future legal "gray areas" about pistol braces, or maybe a future outright ban on them because everyone seems to be shouldering them. Remember what happened to bump stocks. What do you guys think... do you think pistol braces will be banned at some point?

How often would the interstate travel issue come for you, where you have to notify BATF in advance if you take your SBR out of state?

Good video here I watched recently: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/short-barreled-rifles-vs-pistol-brace/
I like my SBRs I have two that I had to transfer to Alabama when I moved here. Paperwork got returned once but I finally got the transfer approved. Do it man you will love them.

Some will say they are dead because of braces. However, the stock options and ability to run a vert grip are only a few benefits. Also If they do something to kill braces then you are a head of the game e-file form 1's are running about 30 days now. if braces go away you better bet it goes to a year.

Never gotten into the travel stuff, but I keep a pistol lower that was factory built as a pistol if I want to travel to another state.

I keep a pistol lower in the safe for when I feel the need to cross state lines with one of my SBRs. Take it off the SBR lower, put it on the pistol lower, wam bam thank you ma'am I am legal.

I have 2 SBRs and some AR pistols also. Having the SBRs is worth the hassle imo. Not much beats a legit SBR but having the AR pistols allows you to pick up and head out of town to most states with no approval needed.
Great idea! I hadn't thought of beginning with a pistol & converting it, so that you could convert it back for travel purposes.

Great idea! I hadn't thought of beginning with a pistol & converting it, so that you could convert it back for travel purposes.

You are not actually converting it back, you are temporarily running your SBR in pistol configuration. If you want to permanently convert it back, you remove it from the registry. Then if you want to make it back in a SBR again, you have to pay and reapply.

Honestly lowers are so cheap I found it was easier to just have a separate pistol lower, That way I am just popping two pins rather than swapping out a stock for a brace

You are not actually converting it back, you are temporarily running your SBR in pistol configuration. If you want to permanently convert it back, you remove it from the registry. Then if you want to make it back in a SBR again, you have to pay and reapply.

Honestly lowers are so cheap I found it was easier to just have a separate pistol lower, That way I am just popping two pins rather than swapping out a stock for a brace
Makes sense

Back
Top Bottom