• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Idiot Scratch

kbkatl

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   0
Reaction score
I have two 1911s that have idiot scratches. It was me. I did it. I didn't know any better. I didn't even know there was a name for it back then.

It was not a "previous owner". It wasn't like that when I got it. It was not little elves who came in the night.

I did it. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others, but sometimes you have to learn from your own. Took me two mistakes apparently. The rest of them are ok, so only the two have the blemish. I don't plan to sell them, so I'm not too worried about it.

They say confession is good for the soul, so I am confessing. I'm the idiot.

This is in the pasture because of the rant part coming up:

Every time, or very nearly every time, someone posts a gun with an idiot scratch, or a gouge or a mark or blemish - they seem to feel compelled to add that it was there when they got it, or it was done by a previous owner.

I just want people to know - if there is damage to the weapon - you'll get less for it and it doesn't matter if you did it or someone else did. You don't always forfeit your man card if you did it yourself. Man up and admit that sometimes you are the one who caused the issue. It doesn't make you less of a person. It makes you fallible, maybe a reformed idiot even - but it's not the end of the world.

I know sometimes you probably battle with yourself over being able to list it as "original owner" but then you would have to admit that you were the idiot - so you struggle and say that it was cause by the previous owner, but you know for a fact that it was not shot much.

It must suck to have something with the scratch or a bit of rust and have to try and explain it away. But the explanation does not change the fact that it is damaged, so there really isn't a need to explain how it happened or who did it. Just list it as it is and give your price.

It must be a real struggle and I feel for you, but if you did it, just admit it. Sometimes it feels good just to face the truth.

A lot of them are easily fixed or greatly minimized.

I like buying one with the scratch already. I can sometimes fix it or not worry about causing one in the future.
How do you fix them? guess I could try to google search it out, but just asking. they still bug me and I wish I could make it go away.

I did it to the 1st one I bought in the '90s. Hell, it took me a week to get it put back together. I didn't have a manual and there was no internet to look it up on Youtube!

I've never created the "Idiot Mark"...But I've darn sure scratched a few up...Had a beautiful Springfield Stainless 1911 fall out of a (I thought) snapped shoulder holster onto gravel and just ruin my day. I did it...Nobodies fault but mine. My BIL laughed his arse off at me.

19CA0EA3-AD25-4A7E-920D-65B0CDDA5617.jpeg

Got the front sight too.

Back
Top Bottom