• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I Want To Fly My Drone

You say 1500 yards now but you’ll soon change your mind once you begin to master flying the drone :plane: and then you’ll wish you had a better one with lightbridge or occusync (instead of WiFi).

Starting cheap will eventually piss you off and you’ll have regrets blowing that cash :frusty: because cheap drones have poor built in avoidance, spotty wifi and when your battery life suddenly drops or video signal lost, the return to home function kicks in and overrides your controls, leaving you standing there helpless as you watch it coming in for a landing :flame:the drone not caring about tree branches, overhead power lines or rooftops while on it’s emergency path home. Self preservation :lalala: That’s for the movies and higher end drones :lol:

You say 1500 yards now but you’ll soon change your mind once you begin to master flying the drone :plane: and then you’ll wish you had a better one with lightbridge or occusync (instead of WiFi).

Starting cheap will eventually piss you off and you’ll have regrets blowing that cash :frusty: because cheap drones have poor built in avoidance, spotty wifi and when your battery life suddenly drops or video signal lost, the return to home function kicks in and overrides your controls, leaving you standing there helpless as you watch it coming in for a landing :flame:the drone not caring about tree branches, overhead power lines or rooftops while on it’s emergency path home. Self preservation :lalala: That’s for the movies and higher end drones :lol:
I agree, I bought a $100 Tello and that could have gone towards a real drone like the $400 Mavic Mini. But the Mini Fly More for $500 is a steal.

I am chuckling at your comments; because you have exactly described the thoughts that have been running thru my head for the past few days. I am one of those people who think, "This one would probably do; but for a little more I can get this; or for a little more more than this, I can get that". :doh:

I like my DJI mini, 25 mins of flight time per battery. Fly more package is the way to go. Not as fancy as the other models but terrific footage for such a small and inexpensive(compared to other models) drone. VERY easy to fly, insurance is cheap on them. I did crash mine into the top of a tree, wasn’t paying attention, totally my fault. Spent an hour throwing limbs at it to get it down, it came down finally hitting many branches on the way down, still works like a charm lol.

Where can I find out more about insurance for a drone? Is it actually insurance for damage/loss to the drone; or insurance for other property which the drone may damage?

I have been flying for many years, and have had several. The last model I bought is a DJI Mavic Pro Platinum.
It is the best flying and easiest to control I have ever had. You can read about it here and see a few videos I have made:

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/i-bought-a-new-dji-drone-video-attached.2054279/

The above comments about the cheap models are correct. You will quickly become frustrated at their lack of controls and stability. Trust me. If you want a stable drone that makes you look good until you really learn how to "fly", then cheap is not the way to go.

I would not go with the Mavic Mini, simply because it uses Wi-Fi as a communication system. It has its limits and can be affected by other signals in the air. Not a lot and not all of the time, but it is there.

The DJI models have a dedicated communication software and are good for +10,000' flying, if you decide to do that.

Follow the laws, register yourself, and be aware of VLOS and height suggestions when flying.

I used State Farm for my insurance. I added my MPP to my Personal Articles Floater for less than $60.00 a year. 100% replacement, regardless of reason for loss.

I just sold a Yuneec Q-500 4K to a member here. It was a very good machine also.

Let me know if you have other thoughts or questions.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom