• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I took the crossbow plunge.

I'm about to do the same. I'm looking at either the same Whitetail II or stepping up to the Barnett Whitetail Pro STR. Trying to decide if its worth an extra $200 for 50fps, string stop/dampeners, STR design.

Bear44 Bear44 did you look at that one at all? Would you consider the Whitetail II loud - thats the only con I've read in reviews?
It is a little loud, but I haven't done anything to quiet it down. Typically, deer won't jump the string past 30 yards and this thing is so fast that as long as I aim for bottom third within 30 yards I just don't think it will be a problem. I am going to experiment with limb and string noise dampeners and they will cost a lot less that $200.

Looks nice - except the price! I've got wiggle room on budget but really want to stay around the 5-600 tops; but also want to know Im getting my money worth over the 3-400 range.
Walmart sells the Whitetail II as a complete package for $318. You'll want to get more bolts and your preferred broad-head, but otherwise you get everything you need.

And the whitetail II is now $253 at walmart.com. I'm debating between that and the centerpoint sniper elite that is $200 after rebate. Thoughts on which is the better value?

And the whitetail II is now $253 at walmart.com. I'm debating between that and the centerpoint sniper elite that is $200 after rebate. Thoughts on which is the better value?
Don't know about the Centerpoint, but you already know what I think of the WT II.

I've had a chance to shoot it at longer range now and it is deadly accurate. Shooting from a table and using my elbows to support, it is shooting one inch two shot groups at 50 yards. That's one bolt with a field point and the other with the NAP practice head. Amazing.

However, the reticle does not match the trajectory. When zeroed at 20 yards, the greater the range, the higher the POI, so the bolts are flying faster than the reticle is set up for. I've adjusted it so it is not too high or low out to 40, but it's 3 inches high at 50. I'd feel confidant taking a 50 yard shot and simply holding a little low, but as accurate as this thing is, I can see taking much longer shots with confidence with a scope that matches the trajectory better. I'll probably replace the scope.

Like all archery hunting keep your shots at 25yds or less and you want have any crippled up deer u don't find and give them bout hr before start tracking
If the weapon and shooter are capable, there is no reason to restrict the range that much. I'm not talking about flinging arrows or bolts hoping for a lucky hit. I'm talking about a weapon and shooter that are able to reliably put it where it needs to be.

I used to be able to make reliable shots in the field out to 45 yards with a compound bow and fiber optic sights. I have steadily reduced that range as my ability to focus on the pin has declined. The reason I switched to a crossbow is because it was becoming difficult to make precise shots even at 20 yards without a focusable optic. With the accuracy of this crossbow and the clarity of the scope, I would not hesitate to take a 50 yard shot on a stationary deer with little or no wind and surety of the range.

With all that said, there are bow hunters that should not be taking a shot at a deer at any range because they are not skilled enough.

It's all a matter of ability and responsible decision making.

Well I just took the Barnett Whitetail II plunge. Walmart went off sell but Amazon had it for $254. I'm hoping my 8 yr old can use it too. I want to get him out with me but don't have a place to let him shoot his 7mm-08 enough to get him comfortable. At least this we can shoot in the backyard. I have a ground blind set up with deer crossing at 30 yards.

Back
Top Bottom