• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I took the crossbow plunge.

I finally decided to get a crossbow because I can use a scope with it and it's gotten to the point I can no longer see the pins on my compound clearly.

I didn't want to sink a lot of money into it and after doing a lot of research decided on the Barnett Whitetail II package. I got it for $318 at Bass Pro after getting them to price match the Walmart price. I bought five more bolts to go with the two that came with the bow and got a preliminary zero while I was at BP. I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the trigger. Crisp and about 3.5lbs. The scope is obviously cheap, but it still beats the hell out of pins and it has come ups in the reticle for the bolts that come with the bow with 100 grain tips. I might replace it latter, but maybe not. I also got a decocking bolt.

It has short limbs and is more compact than I was expecting. It's rated for 350fps and has a lot of kinetic energy with the 415 grain bolts that came with it. It feels quite solid and well built. I can also hand **** it with little problem if I'm in a hurry.

I've decided to also switch to mechanical broadheads because I want the large diameter cut you can get with them. I'll be hunting small land in North Fulton sometimes and want the deer to go down fast. After doing some research I ordered some NAP Crossbow Spitfire MaXX 100 grain. If YouTube can be believed, these things are deadly accurate and consistency shoot to the same spot as a field point. They also create massive wound channels. Massive!

Any tips from you more experienced crossbow folks?

Bout time. Should take about 2 hours to be proficient with it. Cocking it in a climber is pretty fun.

I've never "crocked" a compound type Xbox but mine isn't bad at all. In addition I can decock it without shooting.
20181028_175728.jpg

Well, I got the broadheads and spent some time getting a good 20 yard zero. That was sooo much easier to do than with a compound. I started with field points and then went to the practice points I got from NAP that simulate the Spitfire flight. Exact same POI as the field points. :thumb:

I said earlier that the elevation cross-hairs in the scope that came with it were evenly spaced so I had no confidence in it. I was wrong. On closer inspection they are graduated for increasing bolt drop. I was only able to shoot at 30 after getting the 20 yard zero, but it was dead on. This is a Barnett scope that they put on this Barnett crossbow and I'm shooting the same Barnett bolt and point weight as came with it. It would make sense they have that scope set up exactly right. We'll see when I can shoot at greater distance.

I'm impressed with this rig. I was thinking budget when I bought it, but I'm trying to figure out how more money would make it better. The trigger is very nice. I haven't put a trigger scale on it, but I've got a pretty educated trigger finger from shooting precision rifles and I think it's right around 3.5lbs and very crisp. I would not mind having it on a rifle. It's also accurate. Shooting off sticks while standing I'm dropping everything into an inch group at 30 yards. I think a 60 yard shot would be very realistic as long as I'm confidant with the range. What's not to like?

If anyone is thinking about getting a good crossbow, I highly recommend taking a very close look at the Barnett Whitetail Hunter II package. You can't go wrong.

Started with a fiberglass recurve at the age of 10 in 1959, have been a bow hunter ever since. Torn rotators, neck and back injuries forced me to crossbows 20 + years ago, don't even know what the name brand it was, just an old wooden stock recurve- garage sale purchase. The crossbow addiction took over from there and hasn't let up, try to keep 4 all the time - my wife thinks Im a brick or two short of a load with 4 crossbows.

Crossbows kept me in the bow hunting game and I love it more now than ever (58 years worth of it) and hunt nearly every day of our long Ohio archery deer season. It's certainly not the harvest, which I consider only a bonus (and certainly the most important element of any hunt). But I love and enjoy every element of hunting, scouting, finding the best hides, working on my bows, building arrows, practice, but my worst day hunting certainly beat the best day I ever spent anywhere else, it's a way of life and a passion, that even as an old man I count down the days to get back to every year!

Putting together all of those elements of the hunt good enough to get a trophy animal up close and personal, is the best part of the experience and having the wear of it all and the patience to let them walk (especially a trophy) if it's not my shot, makes it even more exciting.

I'm about to do the same. I'm looking at either the same Whitetail II or stepping up to the Barnett Whitetail Pro STR. Trying to decide if its worth an extra $200 for 50fps, string stop/dampeners, STR design.

Bear44 Bear44 did you look at that one at all? Would you consider the Whitetail II loud - thats the only con I've read in reviews?

I'm about to do the same. I'm looking at either the same Whitetail II or stepping up to the Barnett Whitetail Pro STR. Trying to decide if its worth an extra $200 for 50fps, string stop/dampeners, STR design.

Bear44 Bear44 did you look at that one at all? Would you consider the Whitetail II loud - thats the only con I've read in reviews?

I recommend the tenpoint shadow nxt. Pure badassery and worth every penny.

Looks nice - except the price! I've got wiggle room on budget but really want to stay around the 5-600 tops; but also want to know Im getting my money worth over the 3-400 range.

For 5-6 you can get a really good crossbow that's 380 plus fps. At those speeds deer cant duck.

Back
Top Bottom