• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need the community's help for a veteran in serious need.

So..... How did it go Saturday ? I got a text from chucklenut chucklenut saying he picked up the stuff I dropped off. Is he squared away at the moment?
me and bushwhick took some stuff to his apartment. he has a lovely little girl and was very grateful for our donation/effort.

i am confident this will help get him back on track. hopefully he can get a computer soon and let us know how he is doing (or if he needs something else simple he should ask for it). its rough out there these days, and as former military and even simply as american men we will take care of our own

me and bushwhick took some stuff to his apartment. he has a lovely little girl and was very grateful for our donation/effort.

i am confident this will help get him back on track. hopefully he can get a computer soon and let us know how he is doing (or if he needs something else simple he should ask for it). its rough out there these days, and as former military and even simply as american men we will take care of our own

Good to hear, and I was glad to help, and I would like to thank you chucklenut for going out of your way, and picking up the stuff from my office building when I was out of town.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate everything. I'm currently looking to move my bedroom set out of storage on the west side of Atlanta and get a living room set which I've asked some friends about helping me get. You all have gone above and beyond and what I really want you all to know is that more than the items you've donated just the reminder that humans care about other humans is life affirming. One thing Zulu didn't mention is that I recently suffered a nervous breakdown and it's because I felt like there was no one who was empathetic to my situation. Everywhere I was told to go for help was a dead end with someone saying "Sorry about your luck" and it got to be a little much one day. If I would have ran into you folks earlier I don't think I would have had that break down, but all happens for a reason. Once again thank you all and if there's ever anything I can do to pay you all back please let me know.

-Sonny

P.S. My daughter loves the Monopoly game.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate everything. I'm currently looking to move my bedroom set out of storage on the west side of Atlanta and get a living room set which I've asked some friends about helping me get. You all have gone above and beyond and what I really want you all to know is that more than the items you've donated just the reminder that humans care about other humans is life affirming. One thing Zulu didn't mention is that I recently suffered a nervous breakdown and it's because I felt like there was no one who was empathetic to my situation. Everywhere I was told to go for help was a dead end with someone saying "Sorry about your luck" and it got to be a little much one day. If I would have ran into you folks earlier I don't think I would have had that break down, but all happens for a reason. Once again thank you all and if there's ever anything I can do to pay you all back please let me know.

-Sonny

glad to see you on here friend!

ODT has a strong sense of community, so remember if you need something or just want to talk or vent, feel free to post on here!

and i think it was EugenFJR EugenFJR who donated the monopoly set :)

-Sonny

No worries, If you need anything else let us know, everyone needs a hand up once in a while.

I'm glad the ODT community "knocked out" his list of needed items in short order.
If there's anything else he needs in the future, send me a PM and I'll look through my attic and basement, although I recently have a bunch of furniture and household stuff to my niece and nephew when they moved into their own places.
SUGGESTION: Thrift stores. They have used, good condition stuff that's dirt cheap. Why spend $20 for a toaster from Wal-Mart when you can find one for $2 at Goodwill or the Salvation Army store? Kid's clothing for the vet's daughter? $0.50 for tops, or something like that. Shoes for a buck. Maybe $3 for leather boots. Does he need tableware? You can get mismatched cups and plates and bowls for 10 cents each or a quarter.
Furniture is usually scuffed, or scratched, but if you are currently using a cardboard box with a tablecloth thrown over it for an end table, that cheap particle board "wood" end table with the faux wood grain wallpaper covering it is a huge upgrade in looks and function, for five bucks.

P.S. Transportation is too expensive in America today. Cars are too expensive to buy, to expensive to service and fix, and too expensive to insure.
Until he can buy a car, a scooter might be an option. You can get a 50 c.c. moped / scooter, barely used and only a few years old, for $500-600, and it gets 60 mpg, and will go up to 45 mph).
A bicycle with a wire rack or basket is useful, and cheap. $100-$200 to buy, no insurance, and it is 4X faster than walking. If you can walk a brisk pace of 3 mph, you can probably average 12 mph on even a fat-tired steel-framed bicycle. You can't use one for shopping for a week's worth of groceries for the family, nor furniture shopping, but for trips where you're just getting a bag or two of groceries, or carrying just a few items in your backpack, a bike works for round trips of up to several miles.

Back
Top Bottom