• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have a question?

The "old" rule of thumb was $1000 for every year of age, but this was back in the 1970s for the baby boomers. My sons are 36 and 41, they make about $42k and $55K respectively. When I left IL to take a new job in GA in 1987, I went from about $33k to $40K, and I was 40 years old. I made much more money the last 10-15 years I was working.

The "old" rule of thumb was $1000 for every year of age, but this was back in the 1970s for the baby boomers. My sons are 36 and 41, they make about $42k and $55K respectively. When I left IL to take a new job in GA in 1987, I went from about $33k to $40K, and I was 40 years old. I made much more money the last 10-15 years I was working.
I would venture to say, the "new" rule of thumb could be closer to $2000 for every year of age, these days (especially if you are a one income household).

Well I don’t even make 28k so I’m getting screwed even for back in the day. I guess it wouldn’t be so bad if I was lazy or laid out all the time, but I’m not lazy and I don’t take days off

I would get the $35 for the test and take it....you will either pass or fail. If you pass, great, if you fail you will have the experience of taking the test and how tough it is and a much better idea if you need the $750 classes.

I had to take some "professional examinations" in my career. There was a standardized test from a standard textbook. The text had review questions at the end of each chapter and a practice exam at the end of the text book. I learned very early on if you knew the review questions and the practice exam questions, you didn't need to read the entire 400 page textbook. You weren't going to "ace" the exam, but would score 85-90, enough to pass comfortably. Completing these exams and obtaining professional credentials added 40-50% to my salary. I had to pass 8 exams to get a basic designation, and 4 more for an advanced certification. Just to be clear it wasn't just one exam.

Who is your dad's main plumbing contractor competition? Go to work for him. When your dad asks, say I just needed more money than you were willing to pay me.

I would get the $35 for the test and take it....you will either pass or fail. If you pass, great, if you fail you will have the experience of taking the test and how tough it is and a much better idea if you need the $750 classes.

I had to take some "professional examinations" in my career. There was a standardized test from a standard textbook. The text had review questions at the end of each chapter and a practice exam at the end of the text book. I learned very early on if you knew the review questions and the practice exam questions, you didn't need to read the entire 400 page textbook. You weren't going to "ace" the exam, but would score 85-90, enough to pass comfortably. Completing these exams and obtaining professional credentials added 40-50% to my salary.

Who is your dad's main plumbing contractor competition? Go to work for him. When your dad asks, say I just needed more money than you were willing to pay me.
Thank you sir. Yeah that is what I will do. We are just tired of the bills getting higher but my pay stays the same. Just trying to keep the house from being foreclosed on now.

To the OP and other folks looking for a good career, and you are reasonably intelligent and willing to work. A friend of my older son growing up in our neighborhood in Lawrenceville, went to West Georgia University, then got a job as an apprentice aircraft mechanic at the airport in Lawrenceville. He is now head of the Pratt-Whitney maintenance facility in Columbus GA, pulling down about a quarter of a million a year and is 42 years old. My son kicks himself everyday for not following this same path. He was just as smart and just as hard of a worker.

Thank you sir. Yeah that is what I will do. We are just tired of the bills getting higher but my pay stays the same. Just trying to keep the house from being foreclosed on now.

Life is way too short to live it like this. I grew up very poor, and saw the strain it put on my folks. And it never got any better.

Life is way too short to live it like this. I grew up very poor, and saw the strain it put on my folks. And it never got any better.
I agree, i want more for my kids than what I had. Me and my wife want things too with out having to worry about getting the power cut off and loosing the house. Like I said before thank all of y’all again. This has been on my mind a long time, me and the wife having been stressing about it for too long. I’m gonna go into work tomorrow and talk to him and tell him he can pay me what I’m worth or I will find another job

I would take a month of research and find out what you are really worth. Check with other plumbing outfits in your area if possible. Knowledge is power, even when dealing with a family member. You have been doing this for 10 years, another month isn't going to make a difference. Bottom line....don't be hasty, get your ducks in a row and your statements factual, accurate and non-emotional.

Back
Top Bottom