• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I didn't think it was legal to swap out...

Who would know? I understand FFLs being concerned with it, but private transactions between us commoners? Anyone ever visit a TC contender aficionado? Yeah, good luck sorting that one out.

As a Contender afficianado, you'll find folks that say once a pistol is made into a rifle it must stay a rifle. The rest of us ask how anyone is going to know? Just make sure the pistol length barrel is removed BEFORE you put the stock on and make sure you have a rifle length barrel present if the pistol barrel is there too.

It also helps to know that a Rifle, by definition has a barrel that's at least 16" long and an overall length of 26" (for the adjustable stock folks, thats when the stock is full extended - it's OK to be shorter while in use.)

Bottom line - if they're looking at these nit picky details you've done something so stupid that all they're doing is trying to extend your stay at the Fed Hilton. AND NEVER TAKE PICTURES TO PROVE THEIR POINT.

i think you can put a rifle upper on a pistol lower,as long as it never gets a butt stock. the lower was still a pistol...
you cant put a pistol upper on a rifle,because then its an sbr.
a pistol has a barrel less than 16",but it does not have a max length to be a pistol...
This is correct last time I looked it up but that was a while ago on any gun pistol can be made a rifle but never a riffle to a pistol without going threw atf paperwork from what I understand that is on reg guns not the Nfa guns they have their own rules

So, The bottom line for me is that if I ever want to build or assemble an AR-15 firearm, I will not build it initially as a rifle.

I will instead have it configured first as a pistol. I'll shoot it, get some pictures taken with me using it, and then I will feel free to add a rifle length barrel & a stock. After that I can take those things back off and restore them whenever I wish.

I have more flexibility that way.

(But, ATFs new ruling about "arm stabilization braces" pretty much kills any interest I ever had in an AR type of pistol.
I'd be wanting the kind of brace that serves very well as a shoulder stock.)

So, The bottom line for me is that if I ever want to build or assemble an AR-15 firearm, I will not build it initially as a rifle.

I will instead have it configured first as a pistol. I'll shoot it, get some pictures taken with me using it, and then I will feel free to add a rifle length barrel & a stock. After that I can take those things back off and restore them whenever I wish.

I have more flexibility that way.

(But, ATFs new ruling about "arm stabilization braces" pretty much kills any interest I ever had in an AR type of pistol.
I'd be wanting the kind of brace that serves very well as a shoulder stock.)
There is no new ruling yet. Still open for comments till sometime in September. I have told people in the past to do just as you suggest. Build it as pistol first. Take pictures where the serial number can be seen and save it for future reference.

Ok, but serious question here. Who the hell knows if it had a rifle or pistol upper on it first to determine what configuration its in a year from now? Is there some secret tracking device when you slam that second pin in to lock the upper each time. Is my personal ATF agent going to come give me a stern finger wag if I put a brace and pistol upper on a receiver that at some point, possibly first, maybe second had a rifle upper and stock? Someone please feel free to explain the logistics behind this? I highly doubt anyone is keeping a log of what goes on first and what goes on subsequent to that.

Back
Top Bottom