• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Freezer Dryer Experiments and Recipes

FreezeDryGuy

Eagle Icon Supporter
Frontiersman
11   0
Reaction score
Maybe someone else also finds these to be the greatest invention ever made. My wife sure doesn't lol! She'll learn to appreciate it though. ETA 8 weeks. Anyone else on here have one?

Harvest Right? Which size? Oil-free pump?

I want one, but can't justify the cost yet.
I did a lot of math and it works out pretty good for us. The primary cost savings comes from baby food. Our first kid will be here in August so I was looking at baby foods costs for when they start eating. Kroger has 4oz purees (like squash, sweet potato etc.) for $1. This is $4 a pound. You can buy fresh butternut squash for $1.29 a pound. That's a savings of $2.70 a pound. Let's say they eat a pound of food per day, that's a $985 dollar savings in just that in one year. All I will have to do is freeze dry the squash, powder it, then add a scoop of that powder to some water. Boom, Instant healthy food.

Additionally, being able to buy bulk produce (or eventually grow our own) and turn it into healthy, shelf stable smoothy powder is another great use case. Just add water to your favorite blend of fruits and vegetables.

Finally, to be able to make lots of quick and easy to make meals (like Mountain House) is important to me because I'm the cook in our house. And with a baby I won't want to make dinner every single night for the wife and I.

Screenshot_20220115-122004_Samsung Notes.jpg

Sounds like a good system for you all and congrats on your little one on the way. We want one for preserving our garden fruits and vegetables. We need to get to the point of over abundance in our garden before we drop $4-5k on one.
Thank you!

Are you nearby Atlanta? We're in Brookhaven but in the process of moving to Cumming. Reason I ask it is maybe we could work something out where I could freeze dry your garden food for free and in exchange we could keep an agreed upon amount of produce for ourselves.

I'm a ways away from having the machine but just spit balling here. PM if it makes sense for you!

Back
Top Bottom