• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am buying a house. Not looking forward to moving. Affordable suggestions?

I moved a little less than a year ago.
If it isn't worth packing, loading, transporting, unloading, storing, moving again, then get rid of it!

I moved myself with a suburban and an enclosed trailer.

Start moving stuff now to a storage room.
It will make everything easier later on.

No matter the insurance, how trustworthy or dependable, DO NOT have your guns moved. You do that yourself even if you have to rent a truck yourself. If you need help to load it, then rent the help, but they don't take possession...
LOL..
I blew out the rear shocks in my Flex on the move down here from the weight of guns, knives, and ammunition. And that’s after having my BIL haul a load in his car.
Also you want to keep all jewelry, spare cash and safe deposit contents within sight at all times.
That stuff will evaporate on you if you turn your back.

My suggestion depends a lot on finances and closing schedule:

If you have the ability to close on the new house a week or more before closing the sale of the old house, you can use the overlap to move yourself using a rented trailer or truck. If you have kids, nieces/nephews, or other healthy adults in your life, have a moving party. Ask them to chip in a day, and then take them out to a special event as a thank you. Or just pay them outright.

Did that in 2018. Some stuff went into storage. Some to our new place. Had a bunch of young, strong backs (and a few old ones) helping. Hard work, but well worth it. In our case, we had helped my sister-in-law's family, in a similar situation a year earlier, and they returned the favor. "Many hands make light loads."

My mother-in-law can pack a kitchen like nobody's business. Not a single dish or glass broken in the move.

Over the course of a month, the wife and I moved the stuff from storage to the new place. We were also dealing with some distance (80 miles each way); I was able to do much of the work with a 6x12 trailer rented from Tractor Supply for $25/day.

I reduced most of what I had. After that, I moved an hour away. I used Smooth Moves. I forget the rate, but it was like $160 an hour for 3 dudes and a truck. They did a great job. Took good care of my stuff, and were very friendly.
(678)622-1184

Back
Top Bottom