• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting with hocks

Shads

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
Slack-jawwed Booger-eatin Redneck
64   0
Reaction score
So my buddy killed a buck this morning. Then, took his sister hunting and she killed a buck. I scored the "hocks" or tarsal glands from both. I've heard using these as one would some type of store bought scent attractant is lethal. Anybody got experience doing this? Tips, tricks, yes it works, no throw it in the trash.

So my buddy killed a buck this morning. Then, took his sister hunting and she killed a buck. I scored the "hocks" or tarsal glands from both. I've heard using these as one would some type of store bought scent attractant is lethal. Anybody got experience doing this? Tips, tricks, yes it works, no throw it in the trash.
I’ve never done it, but my uncle has and he swears by it. He’s also killed a **** ton of deer so I’d say go for it.

Works great. I use a turkey baster to suck the urine out of the bladder and soak them down really good then put them in a ziplock and freeze them tell your ready to use. Drag behind you while walking in and hang from branch. They will last all weekend if you soak them down good.

Yes they work especially when bucks are cruising early on or just as a great scent drag. As others mentioned keep them frozen and double zip locked cause they stink.

I've been using the two I got from a rutting buck last year, and I've routinely had bucks and does walk right in on my trail and all around me. Just not one I want to shoot yet...

Did the bucks come from the area you were hunting? I got hocks from Paulding County and will be using them in Wilkinson County this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom