• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting cabin resto.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
7E1A0D28-A5CC-4263-8EAB-C86ABDE32F41.jpeg
This is the smallest of four cabins on my hunting property.
They’re all in need of major repairs.
I just put a new steel roof on this one and raised the high side of the roof 12”.
Instead of just building a 12” frame I decided to install lexan windows and make a transom.
Got the building painted and gutted the interior.(The exterior looked like Black sabbath’s mob rules album cover), had to paint it.
Building a loft bed, shelves, cabinets, hinged fold down table.
Gonna lay rough cut floor boards and wall board, build some hidden cabinets in the walls.
Also gonna build a outhouse close by and then build an offgrid solar powered battery bank for simple amenities.
Should be quite the nice little hunting cabin.
I’ll also have a fold out bed under the loft bed.
Having lots of fun.

There’s an artesian well with a sink and running water right outside.

Yeah this cabin is the smallest.
The other one is 12x16 bath house with toilets, sinks and showers but it’s all shot from neglect and I think the septic from bath house is shot.
Next bigger is 16x24 workshop I’ll convert to a cabin, (this one is gonna be nice.).....then the main cabin has a block foundation stand up crawl space, upstairs has two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, front porch, large back porch ,but it got flooded from a broken water pipe, roof leaks and neglect....it has potential to fix but the floor joists are shot under half of the cabin to the point where two fire places fell through the floor....poor design as the fireplaces weren’t supported from below the floor.
I can jack up the house and replace the joists or do them one by one but the rim joists are shot also and there’s a lot of mildew ....not so much mold upstairs but the floor joists have a lot of white/brown puffy mold.
I’m thinking about tearing the whole thing down and starting from scratch and pouring a concrete floor, pour better jack post footings and use steel beams then doing it all the right way.
A little at a time whenever I get spare time so I’m pretty much at it every day after work and weekends.

Back
Top Bottom