• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How To Run a Pump Shotgun

Here’s a quick video of me shooting a 10/22. My thumb isn’t wrapped around wrist of the stock.

Here’s a student of mine, shooting like I taught him, on one of my rifles. His thumb is very obviously on the right side of the gun, and not wrapped around the pistol grip.

Our prehistoric ancestors didn’t use bolt-action Sniper rifles. Why do we have to hold a firearm the same way that we hold a club?

Bolt action rifle, yeah that would be different. But using a shotgun at CQB distance? I want a good hold on it in case I turn the corner and they make a grab for it.

Bolt action rifle, yeah that would be different. But using a shotgun at CQB distance? I want a good hold on it in case I turn the corner and they make a grab for it.

I have a 2-point sling for retention, and pulling the trigger will make most folks let go. I teach weapons retention, but I’m not going to write a dissertation on it here. With a 2-point sling and support hand on the forearm, one thumb isn’t going to make much difference. I’m going to twist/roll and drive the barrel DOWN with my support hand. The strong hand will either a.) strike to the face/eyes, if the shotgun is my only weapon, or b.) draw and use my secondary weapon if I have one. Either way, my strong hand isn’t staying on the wrist of the stock anyways.

I don't wrap my thumb around the stock. I don't make a conscious effort not to either. It's usually straight forward either from manipulating tang safeties or unpleasantly smacking my nose.
Certainly not trying to be tacticool

Excellent point for folks that use Mossberg shotguns with a safety that is centered on the top rear of the receiver. Thumb on the safety!

This:
92E5A5B9-2D91-4896-873B-36FD7144B425.jpeg

Does not look like this:

5DBD045F-E1F1-4240-8389-4BA5DD4E155D.jpeg

It’s shades of gray, dude. Degrees. Are you seriously arguing the validity of where someone places their THUMB on a combat shotgun, and arguing it to the point where we’re are talking an inch or so difference in placement? In terms of technique, this may very well be the worst argument I’ve seen so far on ODT. Can’t believe this is actually on its 5th page.

My thumb does not wrap around the wrist, and every part of it stays to the right of the centerline of the stock. On a harder-recoiling gun I notice the grip more and slide the right thumb even more to the right, away from the centerline of the stock.

Why don’t you just chalk this one up to YMMV? There is nothing wrong with the guy’s technique, it’s just different from what you feel is right. You do your thing, he’ll do his, and I’ll continue to teach my students the methods that I find to be more efficient.

My father taught me to have my thumb on the right side pointing forward. He got bolt bite or pinched or jammed or something when he was young. I do it both ways. I can't tell much difference either way.

Back
Top Bottom