• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How To Run a Pump Shotgun

It's not silliness.
It's pointing out a silly technique that is part of the video that started this thread.
Anybody posting a "how to" video here should expect other people to watch it, to think about, and to state what they agree with and what they don't understand or don't agree with.

Feel free to ask the admins here at ODT to create a new sub forum called training videos where professional firearms instructors can post content without the great unwashed masses showing their ignorance as they comment about it. Let 'em disable comments.

About the sound of racking a shotgun scaring a bad guy? I don't think that it's a good tactic, but if I'm walking around in a strange place and I hear that sound, It will surely get my attention. BTW mine is nearby with one in the chamber.

My 2¢...
Use your thumb the way your ancestors have for the past 100,000+ years when holding your boomstick.
Chamber loaded, unloaded, how you store, it whatever... It's your gun. Use it how you want to.
If it's 2am and someone is coming in my house, I give **** all about warning his ass. The bastard(s) are getting shot. Repeatedly.

It's not silliness.
It's pointing out a silly technique that is part of the video that started this thread.
Anybody posting a "how to" video here should expect other people to watch it, to think about, and to state what they agree with and what they don't understand or don't agree with.

Feel free to ask the admins here at ODT to create a new sub forum called training videos where professional firearms instructors can post content without the great unwashed masses showing their ignorance as they comment about it. Let 'em disable comments.
By what experience do you judge anyone's technique? You're attempting an appeal to authority with your arguments that is specious at best.

I asked you before to quit sidetracking the original post which was intended to provide new shooters with instruction. You consistently refuse to do so and instead double down and continue to beat a dead horse. Yeah, it's a free country and you're exercising your 1A Right to flap your soup coolers, ad nauseam. Perhaps you could exercise a little discretion and quit sidetracking from the OP or, better yet post up your own training videos. It's not like you have anything better to do. ;)

Just been reading this thread and shaking my head. Good on the OP for stating things how he did and leaving with dignity. Definitely a case of not lowering yourself to someone elses level.

I like Chris' statements about using a shorter than normal buttstock for a close quarters battle shotgun. I've been advocating that for 20 years.
(And that's NOT based on the idea that you may be wearing very thick clothing, or body armor, or a load bearing vest.)

I've cut down several buttstocks of my own shotguns, and I'm a full sized adult man. My current favorite general purpose shotgun has a youth model stock with a 12.6" length of View attachment 2567843

pull (Face of the trigger to the rear of the butt pad or butt plate).
Not the normal 14 or 14.5"

How does one go about reshaping the recoil pad? My shotguns all feel about 2 inches to long.

On some, taking an inch or inch or 1.5" off the back did not reduce the dimensions of the wood enough that I felt I needed to sand down the butt plate or butt pad.

However, on some other guns The stock was significantly shorter in height after the cut so the toe of the buttplate or butt pad had to be cut down as well.
I have experimented using a wood rasp, and tried a hacksaw (for the fine cutting teeth, not for the hardness or metal cutting ability). These were unsatisfactory. The rasp was too rough, and for the hacksaw I had to difficult of a time cutting a straight line and holding a straight angle matching the wood's surface.

I have had pretty good success taping off the wood of the stock with painters' tape or masking tape and then grinding the oversize portion of the butt pad down on a table top belt sander.
Like shown in this video:

P.S. A sticky rubber buttpad is hard to work with when it comes to sanding and grinding it down to fit. A hard plastic butt plate is easier to work with.

Those type of hard plastic butt plates have another advantage --
they are less sticky and clingy when they touch cloth, so they are less likely to snag on your clothing at your mid chest level as you bring the shotgun up to your shoulder in a hurry to make a snap-shot.

Yes, you feel more recoil without the soft energy absorbing recoil pad. Your shoulder can get bruised if you do a bunch of shooting with full powered loads. But I have personally experienced the sticky rubber recoil pad snagging my shirt and interfering with shouldering the shotgun quickly. So I think it's "six of one, and half a dozen of the other." Each type has its own advantages that I think equally offset its disadvantages.

Over the years tactics have changed. For instance it used to be accepted by the 'experts' to point your pistol rather than aim it. As a matter of fact the FBI used to teach that method of gunfighting. It's pretty much not taught anywhere today by any reputable training organization.

The original idea behind cylinder bore shotguns and buckshot was a better chance of getting a hit on the bad guy with any pellets that missed being an acceptable collateral damage. Over the years the acceptability of missing and perhaps hitting an innocent bystander or destroying other peoples' property became unacceptable, mainly due to litigation and rightfully so.

I provided all that background to emphasize that it's no longer a good idea to point your shotgun when using it defensively but to aim it. With that being said, many folks have a really hard time aiming with a bead sight, so they use the rifle style sights or the ghost ring style sights instead. They have also chosen to use buckshot that is specifically designed for tighter patterns.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Too many folks are stuck in the 1950’s-1970’s when it comes to shotguns and their use. Like any other weapon system, it has benefited greatly from advancements in technology and techniques.

Pointing a shotgun is how you use a bead sight and birdshot on small, fast-moving game and birds. For anti-personnel use, it’s a firearm......aim it.

I’ve put quite a bit of time and money into my SD shotguns to get the patterns as tight as they can possibly be, while still allowing the use of buckshot and slugs. I’m going to AIM it, and I want every single pellet to impact within a small area of my aiming point.

My 2¢...
Use your thumb the way your ancestors have for the past 100,000+ years when holding your boomstick.
Chamber loaded, unloaded, how you store, it whatever... It's your gun. Use it how you want to.
If it's 2am and someone is coming in my house, I give **** all about warning his ass. The bastard(s) are getting shot. Repeatedly.

Our prehistoric ancestors didn’t use bolt-action Sniper rifles. Why do we have to hold a firearm the same way that we hold a club?

It's not silliness.

The technique that the OP showed in the video is how I position my strong hand thumb when using any shoulder-fired weapon EXCEPT for a semi-auto/full-auto with a pistol grip.

All bolt actions, regardless of having a traditional grip or a pistol grip, I keep my strong hand thumb on the right side of the stock. Doing otherwise greatly slows down running the bolt.

Semi-autos like the M1 Garand, M1A, M1 carbine, 10/22, Mini-14/30, I do the same thing; my strong hand/right hand thumb stays on the right side of the stock and doesn’t wrap around.

My semi-auto and pump shotguns, if they don’t have a pistol grip, I do the same; my strong hand/right hand thumb stays on the right side of the stock and doesn’t wrap around.

It isn’t something that I would call a “silly technique”. I know a lot of excellent shooters and operators that use the same, or very similar, techniques. I teach it in some of my classes, but I do not require it on anything other than bolt actions. Just because someone uses a differing technique doesn’t make it wrong, or silly.

Back
Top Bottom