• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How To Run a Pump Shotgun

I see all these folks "aiming" their shotguns as opposed to "pointing" their guns. Just me, but front and rear sights should be only for slugs, and at a distance say 50yds or more. What gives?

Is English not your native language? It's exactly what he says. He thinks having a round in the chamber is "silly." Later says, "Not only am I going to make some noise racking the shotgun..." He doesn't want to hurt the poor little criminal. He wants to avoid confrontation. SMDH

"Baker is the same guy who advises using the sound of racking a pump gun to frighten off a confirmed intruder."

That was your original quote and in the video you provided he actually says the oposite of that then goes on to say that keeping a round in the chamber to not give away your position is silly....so what point are you trying to make?? You dont like the guy in the video obviously, but your 2 gripes just contradicted themselves...

"Baker is the same guy who advises using the sound of racking a pump gun to frighten off a confirmed intruder."

That was your original quote and in the video you provided he actually says the oposite of that then goes on to say that keeping a round in the chamber to not give away your position is silly....so what point are you trying to make?? You dont like the guy in the video obviously, but your 2 gripes just contradicted themselves...
Not sure what "oposite" is, but my two comments do not contradict each other. Keeping a chambered round is silly. Racking the slide will be heard by the intruder. That's almost word for word what the guy said. Your fandom is getting in the way here.

Not sure what "oposite" is, but my two comments do not contradict each other. Keeping a chambered round is silly. Racking the slide will be heard by the intruder. That's almost word for word what the guy said. Your fandom is getting in the way here.

First my "fandom"? LOL I dont think I have ever seen this guy before and personally dont care for youtube experts. So you can save that line for someone else.

Next...if you take certain comments, and quote them out of context, which is exactly what you did, you can make the argument that he means whatever viewpoint you want to get across.
See where your argument goes off the rails is when semi intelligent people, me, watch the ENTIRE clip and pay attention your comments not only contradict each other but become obviously biased to your own dislike of the dude in the video. So your point is moot.

And OPPOSITE is where he says racking the slide to scare or intimidate is silly.

No, he said having a pre-chambered round is silly. He then said that racking the slide and giving a verbal warning would help prevent a confrontation, i.e. frighten the intruder. You must be watching another video, since you aren't getting these subtleties of his banter, that or semi intelligent is more correct than you even realize. Have a blessed day.

No, he said having a pre-chambered round is silly. He then said that racking the slide and giving a verbal warning would help prevent a confrontation, i.e. frighten the intruder. You must be watching another video, since you aren't getting these subtleties of his banter, that or semi intelligent is more correct than you even realize. Have a blessed day.
So when challenged change your quote...

Around the 3:30 mark. He's a soy boy. So I'll laugh at you instead for being his little squeeze. :lol: His Mansfield silliness, of which I wasn't even aware, further proves my point that he's on YouTube for hits, not meaningful instruction.
The beauty of his videos is he has a text transcript as well. I rather suspect it's for people who hear a small section of a statement and run around the internet propagating complete BS. Here's the COMPLETE paragraph with actual context. At NO time does he advise that racking a shotgun will scare off an intruder, as a matter of fact, he recommends against that tactic. I put the pertinent part in bold.

It’s probably worth mentioning (because if I don’t, someone else will) the whole myth about the sound of racking a shotgun making bad guys pee their pants and run away. That has happened before — I’ve heard of it happening before, but it’s not really something we count on and it’s not the primary reason we keep the shotgun in cruiser ready condition. We don’t really want to count on fear and intimidation as a primary tactic.

I see all these folks "aiming" their shotguns as opposed to "pointing" their guns. Just me, but front and rear sights should be only for slugs, and at a distance say 50yds or more. What gives?
Over the years tactics have changed. For instance it used to be accepted by the 'experts' to point your pistol rather than aim it. As a matter of fact the FBI used to teach that method of gunfighting. It's pretty much not taught anywhere today by any reputable training organization.

The original idea behind cylinder bore shotguns and buckshot was a better chance of getting a hit on the bad guy with any pellets that missed being an acceptable collateral damage. Over the years the acceptability of missing and perhaps hitting an innocent bystander or destroying other peoples' property became unacceptable, mainly due to litigation and rightfully so.

I provided all that background to emphasize that it's no longer a good idea to point your shotgun when using it defensively but to aim it. With that being said, many folks have a really hard time aiming with a bead sight, so they use the rifle style sights or the ghost ring style sights instead. They have also chosen to use buckshot that is specifically designed for tighter patterns.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Wheeler:

I made one post praising Chris Baker's recommendation about short length of pull on shotguns.

Then I made another post critical of his dominant hand grip on the shotgun.
I followed that up with just two more SHORT posts that were only photographic evidence of other people not doing it the way he recommends. One was me, and one was the firearms instructor for Mossberg pulled directly from the Mossberg website combat shotgun video.

That's it. Then I sit back to let others comment.

And nobody comments until the O.P. comes back with a snarky post ridiculing my background (building on the thread that's going on it's some other website where he, unsolicited posted his page long list of credentials and then started rattling off Chris Baker's list of credentials)
and basically saying
"well who are you to criticize any of what we say?"

So, then, I responded again with more evidence, and pointing out the logical fallacy of Lee's "my resume is longer than your resume"
line of argument.

But, all that being said, I have repositioned my thumb when shooting heavy-recoiling guns in response to getting tagged on the nose with the back of my own thumb (Bolt action milsurps, shooting high power matches, is where this comes into play). But even then, I only put it up to the 12 o'clock position, as Lee is shown doing in his photograph above. I don't do it the way that Chris Baker demonstrated on the video at the beginning of this thread.
I've never seen anybody else do it, I've never heard any instructor recommend it to anybody --until now.
You left out the part where you chased the OP on different forums with the same silliness.

Back
Top Bottom