• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How To Run a Pump Shotgun

Baker is the same guy who advises using the sound of racking a pump gun to frighten off a confirmed intruder. WAFJ He's a YouTube personality looking for hits.
Link to Chris providing that “advice”?

If you send us one of his Manny Mansfield spoof videos I’m going to laugh at you. :)

1- I said more about my qualifications, training, and experience, but you chose to leave that out. 35 years of shooting, competing in a number of firearms disciplines,
a shelf full of trophies and awards...but you edited all that out when you reposted part of it here at ODT. Nice move. Classy. <rolls eyes>
I hope you do better than that in court when you have to swear, as a witness, to tell the whole truth, not just part of the truth, but the whole truth.

2-- So Chris Baker took an instructor course from Tom Givens?
Well, apparently that wasn't where he was taught to lay his thumb on the right side of the receiver, because Tom himself doesn't use that technique.

I just watched a video where Tom Givens is personally demonstrating a combat shotgun --snap shooting -- (but aiming it) and his thumb appears to be where your thumb goes on a conventionally stock shotgun-- up around 11 o'clock or 12 o'clock position at or just left of the centerline of the gun.

It’s pretty clear the intent of the original post was to provide new shooters an easy to find and easy to follow reference to running their new shotgun safely. Instead of building upon that you chose to steer the focus away towards some minor point that is completely irrelevant. You then flooded the thread with posts in which you continue to belabor the point.

When the fallacious nature of your posts is pointed out you then flood the thread even further trying to defend your actions in a passive/aggressive manner.

I get the fact that many of us have a lot of spare time on our hands. Use it productively instead of counter productively. Don’t post in an effort to be heard for the simple sake of being heard.

Cheers.

Wheeler:

I made one post praising Chris Baker's recommendation about short length of pull on shotguns.

Then I made another post critical of his dominant hand grip on the shotgun.
I followed that up with just two more SHORT posts that were only photographic evidence of other people not doing it the way he recommends. One was me, and one was the firearms instructor for Mossberg pulled directly from the Mossberg website combat shotgun video.

That's it. Then I sit back to let others comment.

And nobody comments until the O.P. comes back with a snarky post ridiculing my background (building on the thread that's going on it's some other website where he, unsolicited posted his page long list of credentials and then started rattling off Chris Baker's list of credentials)
and basically saying
"well who are you to criticize any of what we say?"

So, then, I responded again with more evidence, and pointing out the logical fallacy of Lee's "my resume is longer than your resume"
line of argument.

But, all that being said, I have repositioned my thumb when shooting heavy-recoiling guns in response to getting tagged on the nose with the back of my own thumb (Bolt action milsurps, shooting high power matches, is where this comes into play). But even then, I only put it up to the 12 o'clock position, as Lee is shown doing in his photograph above. I don't do it the way that Chris Baker demonstrated on the video at the beginning of this thread.
I've never seen anybody else do it, I've never heard any instructor recommend it to anybody --until now.

Chris Baker's video in the OP from Lucky Gunner is, overall, good stuff.
I only commented on the unusual aspects of it, not the predictable, boring-but -informative-to-newbies instruction it contains.

I like the looks of that strong hand grip. I bet itll induce less stress on the thumb and the hand. I have been smacked by my own thumb running a pump shotgun with a very heavy load. OP, thanks for the video and the links!

Link to Chris providing that “advice”?

If you send us one of his Manny Mansfield spoof videos I’m going to laugh at you. :)
Around the 3:30 mark. He's a soy boy. So I'll laugh at you instead for being his little squeeze. :lol: His Mansfield silliness, of which I wasn't even aware, further proves my point that he's on YouTube for hits, not meaningful instruction.

I like Chris' statements about using a shorter than normal buttstock for a close quarters battle shotgun. I've been advocating that for 20 years.
(And that's NOT based on the idea that you may be wearing very thick clothing, or body armor, or a load bearing vest.)

I've cut down several buttstocks of my own shotguns, and I'm a full sized adult man. My current favorite general purpose shotgun has a youth model stock with a 12.6" length of View attachment 2567843

pull (Face of the trigger to the rear of the butt pad or butt plate).
Not the normal 14 or 14.5"

How does one go about reshaping the recoil pad? My shotguns all feel about 2 inches to long.

Around the 3:30 mark. He's a soy boy. So I'll laugh at you instead for being his little squeeze. :lol: His Mansfield silliness, of which I wasn't even aware, further proves my point that he's on YouTube for hits, not meaningful instruction.

That is not what he said.

Is English not your native language? It's exactly what he says. He thinks having a round in the chamber is "silly." Later says, "Not only am I going to make some noise racking the shotgun..." He doesn't want to hurt the poor little criminal. He wants to avoid confrontation. SMDH

Back
Top Bottom