• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to locate a dog breeder

ClassicBlue

Default rank <5000 posts
Friends don’t let friends buy cheap guns!
430   0
Reaction score
There’s two breeds of dogs my wife and I are considering. One being the Airedale and the other a Basset Hound. What is the best way to locate reputable breeders? Online searches seem to bring up generic results. I’d like to avoid the Craigslist breeders of at all possible. Advice much appreciated.

My brother got his Bassett from a breeder in Villa Rica. I'll see if I can find out who they are, their contact info, etc...My brother's hound is such a good dog.

Most breeders these days have Facebook/ Instagram pages, search there and reed comments a reviews and or just call and talk to them in person

I looked at akc.org and you can find a ton of breeders for sure. I’m trying to figure out if this is the way to go or if there’s a better way to vet a breeder. No pun intended.
We went through the AKC Breed club. You will pay more than a backyard breeder, but reputable breeders will guarantee the health of the dog, and the hips of susceptible breeds, and agree to take the dog back if it doesn't work out.

That said, if you just want a pet, nearly all the breed clubs have affiliated breed specific rescue operations, where you can get a purebred dog at a discount. It will probably be neutered. People give up dogs for the most ridiculous reasons. True story - one dog at our rescue org, was given up because the owners redecorated the house, and the dog didn't match the new decor. Some of the surrendered dogs have impressive pedigrees or training.

This is the way we went with our last dog, and he was great. If you don't want to be a serious breeder, I strongly urge you to contact the national breed club for breed specific rescues.

Back
Top Bottom