• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to eliminate Google from your life forever

...and replace them with Apple. There's no way to get away from them if you have an Android phone. There may be some viable alternatives though some day soon.

There are some web giants that you can get away from easily. I have no problem ignoring Facebook for example.

I try not to depend on Google, but for search they are pretty unbeatable. I did try to live off Duck Duck Go for a while, but it simply isn't as good a search engine. I had to decide that for most things I'd live with Google snooping my searches in exchange for the better quality results.

When it comes to things like phones, you have Apple and Android, and both of them are data snoops. I suppose I could try and go with some jail-broken version and spend half my life trying to turn that stuff off, but honestly, I look at being on the interwebs like being on the sidewalk. There's no expectation of privacy when you are in public, and I don't expect it on the Internet.

It's a trade off that we make.... no one would pay for Facebook, but we know that they have to profit from our free access somehow. I find it incredibly hypocritical to expect that some Internet service we get for free should look at us as customers. We aren't. We're raw material for whoever their real customers are... and that's typically folks who want to sell us something.

If you want to live without Google, get a voice-only phone and a cable TV subscription. Don't post here or anywhere else and call your mother on a landline. Otherwise you are opting in, and complaining about it is kind of ridiculous.

...and replace them with Apple. There's no way to get away from them if you have an Android phone. There may be some viable alternatives though some day soon.
Not quite. Nobody owns Android -- it's an open source project, and there are several implementations of it. True, Google is the largest contributor to the project, but it chooses to give away all of its contributions (not to be confused with Google's proprietary applications on Android). I've been using Lineage OS for some time and am very happy with it. Waiting on the Librem now to test it out.

https://itsfoss.com/open-source-alternatives-android/

Back
Top Bottom