• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to build a house?

Septic and foundation is worth farming out to pros.
It’s nothing to stick the walls and lay the trusses.
Run all plumbing and wiring or recepticals.
If you’re scared of wiring and don’t feel like guessing on codes you could run all the receptacles where you want and have the pros do the hook ups and run wiring.
The more you
do yourself the more you
save.
Get a game plan on what kind of climate control
you want and play with some blueprints.

I’m looking for suggestions for books/courses/etc for the hows & whys of building houses. I don’t know what that would be considered, structural engineering maybe? Basically, where can I learn the things a builder knows about building houses?

There’s always a new project popping up at our house, and I’d like to get my knowledge ahead of the curve, rather than researching each new issue after it comes up. Also, I could see myself building a house in the distant future, so may as well get started building that knowledge set now.
Start with the library. Get yourself a book on the basics of each trade and read, read, read. Ninety percent of the builders out there started out working for a framer and went from there.
“Builders” are only as good as the subs they use. Know your limitations. If you are good at hands on and have common sense then most anything that comes up at home can be handled on your on with the basic knowledge you can get from the library. You’ll know when to sub to a professional.

My Tip:
"Do not build it using engineering webbing trusses. They sucks! You won't be able to do any extra renovation or remodeling later. Besides, inspectors are pick on them. - Use rafters trusses, such as 2x6 or even 2x8..."

By the way, I am in the new construction area for 20 years as an HVAC guy! I have seen them all... lol!!

I’m looking for suggestions for books/courses/etc for the hows & whys of building houses. I don’t know what that would be considered, structural engineering maybe? Basically, where can I learn the things a builder knows about building houses?

There’s always a new project popping up at our house, and I’d like to get my knowledge ahead of the curve, rather than researching each new issue after it comes up. Also, I could see myself building a house in the distant future, so may as well get started building that knowledge set now.
A great place to start is to learn how to read a tape!be surprised how many cannot!learn u basic tools and how to use,

Lots of library books are not up to date.
Try to get something current as codes changed throughout the years and it would suck to build something not to code and have to rip it all apart if it won’t pass inspection.
Not sure your location but I use a super cool electrician in dahlonega for the stuff I can’t handle.
He’s a gun guy and likes to trade work for toys in some situations.

There is Nothing more rewarding than building your own house.
Also Nothing tests the limits of your marriage and your sanity than building your own house....lol.

Lots of library books are not up to date.
Try to get something current as codes changed throughout the years and it would suck to build something not to code and have to rip it all apart if it won’t pass inspection.
Not sure your location but I use a super cool electrician in dahlonega for the stuff I can’t handle.
He’s a gun guy and likes to trade work for toys in some situations.

There is Nothing more rewarding than building your own house.
Also Nothing tests the limits of your marriage and your sanity than building your own house....lol.

Never use the library for current code. The books there should only give you basic knowledge of the trades. When you get to the point of having to know that you get a current IBC ( International Building Code) code book or leave it to your trade contractor. Licensed trade contractors know their code and adhere to it.
I’ve been a PM and Supr. in the commercial and residential building industry for 31 years and have definitely seen it all.

Back
Top Bottom