• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to ask for ODT family firearms expertise

19   0
Reaction score
I recently bought a used Rugger Mini 14 with a Nikon P-223 AR optic mounted on the rifle. Every time after firing the spent cartridge hits the windage adjustment cap during the ejection.

I believe that I just need to rotate the optic counter clockwise 90 degrees.

Just want to know the process for getting this type of issue resolved.

Thank you,
Randal

Scope isn’t designed to be mounted that way that you want to mount it.

The elevation knob will now be the windage, and the windage will now be the elevation. This causes several problems:
1. Optics tend to have much more elevation than windage, so you screwed yourself on adjustability, and may not even be able to zero it.
2. The knobs are already marked with UP and DOWN, and LEFT and RIGHT. Now you’ll be using U/D for L/R, and vice versa.

Which reticle do you have? If you have the BDC reticle, it will now be sideways and only the center will be usable.

Scopes are designed to be mounted a certain way for a reason.

Get self-adhesive Velcro or foam and pad the part of the scope that’s being struck.

Scope isn’t designed to be mounted that way.

The elevation knob will now be the windage, and the windage will now be the elevation. This causes several problems:
1. Optics tend to have much more elevation than windage, so you screwed yourself on adjustability, and may not even be able to zero it.
2. The knobs are already marked with UP and DOWN, and LEFT and RIGHT. Now you’ll be using U/D for L/R, and vice versa.

Which reticle do you have? If you have the BDC reticle, it will now be sideways and only the center will be usable.

Scopes are designed to be mounted a certain way for a reason.

Get self-adhesive Velcro or foam and pad the part of the scope that’s being struck.

BCD reticle.
So the previous owner installed incorrectly.
I just removed the optic so I could rotate to the correct position and yes, now the BCD reticle is sideways.
Is there a fix or is the optic ruined from it's original intent?

BCD reticle.
So the previous owner installed incorrectly.
I just removed the optic so I could rotate to the correct position and yes, now the BCD reticle is sideways.
Is there a fix or is the optic ruined from it's original intent?

I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

The elevation knob has to be at 12 o’clock, and the windage knob has to be 3 o’clock. You cannot change that.

If you rotated the scope to the “correct” position, and the reticle is now sideways, then that is NOT the correct position. Sounds like it was correct before, and you have reinstalled it incorrectly.

I think he misunderstood the first sentence in you're original post cmshoot. The scope was correct before you changed it, you need a shell deflector or something to cover the impact area on the scope.

You cannot rotate the outer housing of the scope, and the innards containing the reticle, separately. They’re all one-piece.

Back
Top Bottom