• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How should I handle as a semi new trader?

Jmitchell1975

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
First off, if this is the wrong forum, I apologize.

I bought a gun for my son for Christmas from a ODT member with about 80 positive feedbacks and no negative.

It was a Colt M4 .22 LR carbine. It appeared to be in near perfect condition with all paperwork and box. I understand this is an older gun but it appeard to be a "safe queen," as he put it.

Do to weather and my kids sports schedules, I took it out of the box to clean it and lube it just to be sure. I didn't do a full breakdown, just a field strip and lube. I tried to cycle a few rounds through it but they would not eject. Long story short, it was missing the extractor on the carrier bolt. Lots of searching, phone calls and $19.99 later, I ordered the part and arrived a few days ago.

This evening, I was attempting to do a full break down to install the extractor. This gun is not like your standard AR platform. It breaks down a little differently. There are countless vidoes on YouTube, and I watched many of them. The carriage bolt assembly is attached to the barrel which slides out of the barrel shroud. Anyway, it should be a simple tap with a nylon hammer or something similar after removing the flash suppressor and it will literally almost fall out with a little help from gravity. The barrell will not budge. I have managed to pry it out about an inch. I am not a gunsmith but I am technically inclined and have serviced many other guns. I believe the gun was damaged or overheated at some point.

For the TLDR. I have to take it to a gunsmith for fear of damaging the gun. Should I contact the seller? He may have really been unaware.

Thanks in advance.

First off, if this is the wrong forum, I apologize.

I bought a gun for my son for Christmas from a ODT member with about 80 positive feedbacks and no negative.

It was a Colt M4 .22 LR carbine. It appeared to be in near perfect condition with all paperwork and box. I understand this is an older gun but it appeard to be a "safe queen," as he put it.

Do to weather and my kids sports schedules, I took it out of the box to clean it and lube it just to be sure. I didn't do a full breakdown, just a field strip and lube. I tried to cycle a few rounds through it but they would not eject. Long story short, it was missing the extractor on the carrier bolt. Lots of searching, phone calls and $19.99 later, I ordered the part and arrived a few days ago.

This evening, I was attempting to do a full break down to install the extractor. This gun is not like your standard AR platform. It breaks down a little differently. There are countless vidoes on YouTube, and I watched many of them. The carriage bolt assembly is attached to the barrel which slides out of the barrel shroud. Anyway, it should be a simple tap with a nylon hammer or something similar after removing the flash suppressor and it will literally almost fall out with a little help from gravity. The barrell will not budge. I have managed to pry it out about an inch. I am not a gunsmith but I am technically inclined and have serviced many other guns. I believe the gun was damaged or overheated at some point.

For the TLDR. I have to take it to a gunsmith for fear of damaging the gun. Should I contact the seller? He may have really been unaware.

Thanks in advance.

You should have contacted the seller as soon as you thought there was an issue. Now if he didn't know about it, he doesn't know if you did something while you were in there.

^^^this. I mean you’ve attempted to break it all down at this point as far as he knows you may have damaged it.

I created another thread when it initially would not eject the live rounds. I appreciate everyone's honesty. The gunsmith will know. I can assure I have not even fired the gun yet.... and only lubed it. I think he got it in a trade and let it sit for years without ever knowing. That's why I asked here and why I am not calling anyone out. Thanks. I will just pay to make it right for my boy. Thanks.

I would work under the assumption that anything sold here that's used is "as-is." Caveat Emptor. As as seller i wouldn't warranty anything for functionality or to operate safely. Not because I would try to scew someone but you can never underestimate the idiots out there messing with firearms. (e.g. look around your local range) Not saying you did anything wrong and you seem competent but it doesnt sound like the seller knew there was a problem. Didnt Colt has some quality issues there for a bit?

My story... I bought a HK MP5 CLONE from a trader here that after about 5 rounds had an out of battery firing and destroyed the mag but luckily not my hand. I am sure the seller knew about it, In your case hard to say but always be on your guard. Something may look like a good deal but thats not always the case.

I would work under the assumption that anything sold here that's used is "as-is." Caveat Emptor. As as seller i wouldn't warranty anything for functionality or to operate safely. Not because I would try to scew someone but you can never underestimate the idiots out there messing with firearms. (e.g. look around your local range) Not saying you did anything wrong and you seem competent but it doesnt sound like the seller knew there was a problem. Didnt Colt has some quality issues there for a bit?

Yeah, yeah, that's all well and good, except every seller I have run across refuses to let you function test it, or watch them function test it, or even do a minor break down to check the major groups.

I've been hosed on two deals, both of which the response was "it didn't do that for me." BS. It was broken and you knew it. Being as "fraud" doesn't rate a negative on ODT, but being late does, I let it pass, but have learned a valuable lesson.

I've had sellers refuse to remove the grips on S&W revolvers to check if the nickel is original, or to see if they are numbered to the gun. Those are easy to deal with.

Yeah, yeah, that's all well and good, except every seller I have run across refuses to let you function test it, or watch them function test it, or even do a minor break down to check the major groups.

I've been hosed on two deals, both of which the response was "it didn't do that for me." BS. It was broken and you knew it. Being as "fraud" doesn't rate a negative on ODT, but being late does, I let it pass, but have learned a valuable lesson.

I've had sellers refuse to remove the grips on S&W revolvers to check if the nickel is original, or to see if they are numbered to the gun. Those are easy to deal with.

Ive had no problem breaking down pistols shotguns rifles and such on the bed of the tailgate in the HD parking lot. If a seller acts weird about it I walk away. Even If something is a major issue most manufacturers will remedy for little or nothing. Ive sent stuff to Ruger, Springfield and Beretta. All i paid in those cases was the shipping. In any case, buyer beware and someone who misleads is definitely worth a "-" or even a public shaming.

I almost always offer to let the buyer meet me at a range and function test any semi auto gun that I'm selling because they are more vulnerable to malfunctions-- there's a higher risk for that for semi autos compared to other action types.

One time the buyer of a semi auto weapon that was selling for nearly $1000 met me at the range, and the gun immediately started jamming. I have not had a problem with that the last few times I shot it, but it had been over 10 years at that point since I last fired it. So we postponed the deal until I could have a gunsmith inspect the weapon. But.... that ended up taking a long time, and the deal did not go through, the buyer ultimately backed out --which is totally understandable.
(I paid for the range fees and what little ammo we used that day.)

Back
Top Bottom