• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How often do you sharpen your EDC knife?

I learned with my Spyderco Endura 50/50 to keep it sharp always. I have a diamond block and a partial Arkansas stone (broken off end) at work on my desk. I also have a diamond block and Ark stone in my room where I keep all my pocket junk (wallet, keys, knife etc.).

When I worked at Robins I used my Spydero daily to open boxes and cut tape and scrape labels etc. One day I got off work and decided to do some afternoon deer hunting in Elko in plain old street clothes that I wore to work and the 45-70 - not thinking I'd see anything. I shot a 10 point and had to open and gut it with the dull Spyderco with gummed-up dull blade....
Now it gets slicked up always.

I sharpen mine every few days. I just want it to be sharp when I need it.

I cant seem to get an edge with a stone. I wish I could. I do have Worksharp and a hand held Smith that seem to do pretty good. I have not even taken the workshop out of the box since we moved in March. I leave the Smith in my closet or drawer and use it when I need it. I am sure a nicer knife may hold a better edge. I have a Gerber that does pretty good.

I've been carrying a USA Kershaw Scallion for over 3 years. I use it a lot, everyday. From cutting up cardboard boxes to scoring #4 wire, to everything in between. I might touch it up once a week, but I don't have to. It's a great edc knife. Pretty small, but it does it all.
I've got the same knife.

use it very casually.

i have a stone on the bench in the garage, and I hit it maybe once every 2-3 months.

Reactions: MRH
I've got the same knife.

use it very casually.

i have a stone on the bench in the garage, and I hit it maybe once every 2-3 months.
The Scallion is very handy, and the size makes it easy for pocket carry.

I have recently moved to the slightly larger Kershaw Blur for my work knife. I just needed something a bit bigger for all around work tasks, since I use my pocket knife many times throughout the day. I like the Blur so far, and it holds a very good edge.

Kershaw USA makes some of the best edc knives, IMO, for quality/cost.

Sharpening is pretty easy. Most of the time I can use a strop to touch it up as needed.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I tend to lose my EDC knife about every 3 years.....is this common? Or should I just stay in my rocker on the front porch and not go out any more?

The Scallion is very handy, and the size makes it easy for pocket carry.

I have recently moved to the slightly larger Kershaw Blur for my work knife. I just needed something a bit bigger for all around work tasks, since I use my pocket knife many times throughout the day. I like the Blur so far, and it holds a very good edge.

Kershaw USA makes some of the best edc knives, IMO, for quality/cost.

Sharpening is pretty easy. Most of the time I can use a strop to touch it up as needed.
I find the Scallion makes a good "gentleman's knife" but is stout enough to do some serious work.

I've also learned that Kershaw makes knives in China, and to visually inspect the particular knife before purchasing. Local dealer tipped me off about that, I haven't been burned.

Reactions: MRH
I find the Scallion makes a good "gentleman's knife" but is stout enough to do some serious work.

I've also learned that Kershaw makes knives in China, and to visually inspect the particular knife before purchasing. Local dealer tipped me off about that, I haven't been burned.

And the difference in the USA Kershaws vs the cheap communist garbage is like night and day. I only buy the USA Kershaws.

Back
Top Bottom