• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many Stupid counterpeople does it take to sell an auto part?

I knew we were in trouble back in the late 80's early 90's. I needed a clutch cable for my Scirocco and NOPI was out, went to Autozone, I think. Any way, I walk in and the girl asks "can I help you" yes, I need a clutch cable for 78 VW Scirocco. She looks at the computer and asks, manual or automatic. I just turned around and left and picked one up from NOPI the next day.

yeah you know she's a whatchamacallit, sits right next to the starter don't it?

My brother worked at NAPA for years. Always went out of his way to find stuff in catalogs.

A light batter turns out to be a floor mounted dimmer switch. "You know, you use it to bat your lights at people who come at you with their brights on"

Rock Auto sent me the wrong part when I called them they insisted it was the right part as they sold 10000 of those parts to people who had cars like mine therefore if it didn't fit my car my car was a one-off car custom built by the factory morons.... The truth is they sold the wrong part 10000 times never refunded any money.. made it a pain in the ass so you give up and throw the part away... and then they make asinine statements and just keep selling the wrong parts two people....jurks

I knew we were in trouble back in the late 80's early 90's. I needed a clutch cable for my Scirocco and NOPI was out, went to Autozone, I think. Any way, I walk in and the girl asks "can I help you" yes, I need a clutch cable for 78 VW Scirocco. She looks at the computer and asks, manual or automatic. I just turned around and left and picked one up from NOPI the next day.
Get The BONE at auto zone !!!!

Having worked at a chain auto parts store eons ago, I can attest that the typical call did go like this:

RIIING, RIIIING,
Me: "Hello, thank you for calling GreedyPartsRUS, this is me, can I help you?"
Caller: "Yes, is this the GreedyPartsRUS?"
Me: "Yes ma'am, it is. How may I help you" (Edit note: at one time "corporate" decided we had to answer the phone EVEN IF dealing with a customer in the store!)
Caller: "Yes, I need a pahrt" (They actually said "part" with an "h" sound: pahrt, almost like "pot")
Me: "Yes ma'am, I'd be glad to help you. What type of car is it?"
C: "It's a Buick, Limited!"
M: "Okay, ma'am, what type of 'Limited' Buick is it?"
C: "It's an '83 Limited"
M: "Okay, is that a Regal Limited, or a LeSabre Limited?"
C: "I don't know it's just a Limited"
M: "Okaaaaay, what part is it that you need?"
C: "That little light bulb for the tag"
M: "Yes ma'am, we have those"
C: "Good, I'll be sending my (relative) down to pick one up, will you put it at the register?"
M: "No ma'am, we're not allowed to put things on the register, but here's the part number..."
C: "I don't give a damn what the pahrt number is! I just want my light bulb"

Etc. That happened every week.

Flip side, I met some really cool people and got some amazing tips just for installing wipers and headlights.

I walked into a parts store and threw a single circuit brake master cylinder on the counter.

Guy looks at it and says "whats it off". Answer: old as dirt forklift, about 5 ton, Case, I think.

The lift owner wanted it fixed, but confidence in finding the part was not high.

Counter guy played with his computer for a while, then said "This look like it?"

Picture looked good, so I ordered it. Dang if that MC from a 56 F600 wasn't a perfect fit!

Part was from a simpler time, and the parts guy was willing to actually try to find something for me.

I forgot to mention, this was 2 weeks ago, not pre Nixon era.

Back
Top Bottom