• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

Join the club alleycat alleycat

m1d2.jpeg

Those M1-d’s keep calling m name.....

There were still some decent ones on the rack if you go in with the expectation that the barrel is toast. One had a Remington NM op-rod, indicating that it received work in the 60's. They aren't making anymore and it seems like CMP is scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as available stores outside the US - I doubt we'll see another mountain of rifles get discovered somewhere and my understanding is that Europe is cleaned out. If there are more, it'll probably be somewhere in Asia and there's no telling the condition. If the Phillipine finds are an indicator, all these "special" grade rifles that CMP is putting out is because the original parts/furniture were crap.

I didn't let the barrel dissuade me from getting one though. I'll save the factory barrel for collecting alongside the receiver and shoot with the Criterion. Even with a shot out barrel though, a CMP papered D model will only continue to rise in value as time goes on.

Dupage has 1903A3 drill rifles in stock if anyone is wanting to bring a rifle back from the dead. I just bought 2 myself. I don't feel bad at converting these into sniper clones - it's not like you're drilling holes in a perfectly good receiver.

There were still some decent ones on the rack if you go in with the expectation that the barrel is toast. One had a Remington NM op-rod, indicating that it received work in the 60's. They aren't making anymore and it seems like CMP is scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as available stores outside the US - I doubt we'll see another mountain of rifles get discovered somewhere and my understanding is that Europe is cleaned out. If there are more, it'll probably be somewhere in Asia and there's no telling the condition. If the Phillipine finds are an indicator, all these "special" grade rifles that CMP is putting out is because the original parts/furniture were crap.

I didn't let the barrel dissuade me from getting one though. I'll save the factory barrel for collecting alongside the receiver and shoot with the Criterion. Even with a shot out barrel though, a CMP papered D model will only continue to rise in value as time goes on.

Any feedback on that criterion barrel? I haven’t heard anything coming from shooters yet

I know folks who have installed standard Criterion barrels in their M1's and it definitely breathes new life into the rifle. Since they come short chambered, you have more control over the headspace of the rifle - plus being a new barrel using new manufacturing techniques, it's no doubt better than a standard plain barrel. I know I have a Criterion on an 03 and it shoots lights out for what is supposed to be a service rifle.

Regarding the D barrel, I still think they're relatively new and I haven't heard much myself, but I would think that if anyone is going to do a D barrel justice in today's market, Criterion would give it justice.

Back
Top Bottom