• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you tell it hasn't been shot much?

Just saw another ad for a handgun, seller is not original owner, says "doesn't look like it's been shot a lot".

How do you tell?

What does a gun that's been shot a lot look like? I'm talking about revolvers mostly,

How many sellers are qualified to make that statement? What's a "lot"? What are they looking for to tell if it's been shot "a lot"? How many guns that have been shot a lot of the same kind have they examined?

Now I know that one some guns it's possible to shoot them loose by using high powered loads, but that's pretty obvious.

Just what I'm thinking about today.

Gas cutting on the frame, forcing cone erosion, sharpness of rifling, wear on the internals, carbon buildup in nooks and crannies, depth of turnline on cylinder... just some things to look for when determining how much a revolver has been fired.

My Retired out of Duty Glock 22 has had somewhere around 40k rounds run through her...She like me, shows a lot of ware but we both still keep running..I have retire her to being my truck gun..She has never been back to Glock for a refresh, if I can't she can't but we both keep keeping on..

My Retired out of Duty Glock 22 has had somewhere around 40k rounds run through her...She like me, shows a lot of ware but we both still keep running..I have retire her to being my truck gun..She has never been back to Glock for a refresh, if I can't she can't but we both keep keeping on..
I could say something like that about my first Canik but I may need to sell one day haha (hopefully not ever). If something needs replaced we'll do but Imma keep shootin till it does . I'm Glock cool too DD , just found a better fit for me.

Gas cutting on the frame, forcing cone erosion, sharpness of rifling, wear on the internals, carbon buildup in nooks and crannies, depth of turnline on cylinder... just some things to look for when determining how much a revolver has been fired.

Yeah, but all those require thousands of rounds.

Lot of distance from "not a lot" to forcing cone erosion.

Of course the inverse, is how many rounds does it take to make a difference. Why do potential buyers ask. If the buyer is so knowledgeable, should he be able to tell?

I mean, if you have to ask, you have to take the seller's answer, so I guess I would say, "not much" too, because "much" like "a lot" is relevant.

Back
Top Bottom