• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you reset a leaf spring ?

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
So, after a few hours filing and milling my repro sear spring is close to fitting.

The big challenge I have is how to set a curve on the arm to approximate the original. Can you heat and bend ? I kind of feel I'll lose the 'spring', (temper ?), if I do that.

The leg I need to bend is ~ 1" long

sear.jpg

Is this a non replaceable part?

No, this is a repro spring, not cheap, but replaceable.

Even though you might get it straight the chance of getting the same spring rate is very, very very low.

I need to put a curve in it to mimic the original pictured. Replacement's needed as both legs have taken a set, (both act as springs for different functions, the short leg has been fitted and works perfectly).

The rate isn't hyper critical, it tensions the sear / disconnector, it doesn't move much and I'm willing to experiment. It's pretty stiff.

I'm not impressed the repro contour is so different, but you have to work with what you can get !

No, this is a repro spring, not cheap, but replaceable.

I need to put a curve in it to mimic the original pictured. Replacement's needed as both legs have taken a set, (both act as springs for different functions, the short leg has been fitted and works perfectly).

The rate isn't hyper critical, it tensions the sear / disconnector, it doesn't move much and I'm willing to experiment. It's pretty stiff.

I'm not impressed the repro contour is so different, but you have to work with what you can get !
Roger that! Won't hurt to play with it if you get another.

Back
Top Bottom