• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I tap in front sight

151   0
Reaction score
I've been pounding the sight with a brass punch and a hammer for like a good 20 some minutes even used a heat gun for a little bit, and it won't move farther then I got it.

They're the sights that came off that I'm putting back on, but I'm having real trouble, and don't think pounding it any harder will solve my problems.

Thanks in advance, about 5 minutes ago I was about ready to hammer my head through drywall, and cry man tears.
IMG_20211020_205804.jpg

• A little lube wouldn't hurt.
  • You tried heat, try popping it in the freezer for an hour or two.
  • Maybe scoot the slide back to get that sight in line with the vise for better support when striking it.
  • Sight pushers are expensive, but valuable. There's a basic rig available on amazon for $50 (+/-), that is basically a bolt mounted on a frame, with a pusher that moves when you turn the bolt.

Most sights are slightly oversized and require some fitting. You need to file/stone the sight until it slips about 1/3 into the dove tail cut using finger pressure only. then tap it in the rest of the way. Be careful, file a little - test fit, repeat until it fits 1/3 easily in. The difference between a good fit and too much is only about a stroke or two of the file/stone when you get close.

• A little lube wouldn't hurt.
  • You tried heat, try popping it in the freezer for an hour or two.
  • Maybe scoot the slide back to get that sight in line with the vise for better support when striking it.
  • Sight pushers are expensive, but valuable. There's a basic rig available on amazon for $50 (+/-), that is basically a bolt mounted on a frame, with a pusher that moves when you turn the bolt.
I'll try tomorrow. I do have vism sight pusher but it doesnt fit with that big ass guide rod port

Most sights are slightly oversized and require some fitting. You need to file/stone the sight until it slips about 1/3 into the dove tail cut using finger pressure only. then tap it in the rest of the way. Be careful, file a little - test fit, repeat until it fits 1/3 easily in. The difference between a good fit and too much is only about a stroke or two of the file/stone when you get close.
Thanks I'll try that hopefully I ain't got it stuck though...

Back
Top Bottom