• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How close have you got to a deer?

Several occasions but my favorite was a group of does I snuck right up on.
There were several mature does that were relaxed and browsing while the two young ones worked point.
As I came up the knoll I saw them and decided to walk/stalk and only moved when none of them were looking ...took forever.
I finally had my crossbow trained on a big doe when the one working point was giving me the head bob and stare down.
Finally it turned and browsed a little ...I had to let my bow down cause my arm was killing me holding it up for so long frozen.
Finally I got a chance to move and let the blood flow back into my arm.
At this point the yearling came closer and closer not even noticing me.
It got right next to me.
If I had a knife in my hand I could have stabbed it in the heart.
Finally it brushed past me and continued browsing.
I took a shot at the big mama and she ducked the hell out of my string.
They all scattered but some lingered for a while.
I could have reloaded and tried to wait for another shot but the big mama was making too much trouble blowing and trying to get them all to follow her that I just let them go so they will come back in a week or so hopefully.

Y’all saw the video of the yearling trying to sneak up on my dog....that was one for the books.

My best near miss was when I was. in middle school.
We were playing in the woods when a big 12 point pennsylvania buck came chasing a doe and was grunting like a mule....they ran straight towards me and the doe dashed off but the buck continued another five feet and turned literally a foot from me.
I thought for sure I was gonna get plowed.

Several occasions but my favorite was a group of does I snuck right up on.
There were several mature does that were relaxed and browsing while the two young ones worked point.
As I came up the knoll I saw them and decided to walk/stalk and only moved when none of them were looking ...took forever.
I finally had my crossbow trained on a big doe when the one working point was giving me the head bob and stare down.
Finally it turned and browsed a little ...I had to let my bow down cause my arm was killing me holding it up for so long frozen.
Finally I got a chance to move and let the blood flow back into my arm.
At this point the yearling came closer and closer not even noticing me.
It got right next to me.
If I had a knife in my hand I could have stabbed it in the heart.
Finally it brushed past me and continued browsing.
I took a shot at the big mama and she ducked the hell out of my string.
They all scattered but some lingered for a while.
I could have reloaded and tried to wait for another shot but the big mama was making too much trouble blowing and trying to get them all to follow her that I just let them go so they will come back in a week or so hopefully.

Y’all saw the video of the yearling trying to sneak up on my dog....that was one for the books.

My best near miss was when I was. in middle school.
We were playing in the woods when a big 12 point pennsylvania buck came chasing a doe and was grunting like a mule....they ran straight towards me and the doe dashed off but the buck continued another five feet and turned literally a foot from me.
I thought for sure I was gonna get plowed.
I need to see this video. I missed it

Once I was walking a fire break and a doe walked right out in front of me. I had my shot gun with 00 buck. If I would have raised the shotgun and tried to aim the deers body I would have had to back up to be able to shoot the deer. I just shot at its hooves, I ended up hitting all 4 legs below the knee and deer immediately dropped, then 1 shot in the head. Absolutely no meat was damaged

Wife was sitting on the ground by a tree. Roughage in front of her about 10’ and lanes to left and right. She heard something in front of her. She looked up and a rather large buck sneezed all over her.

Back
Top Bottom