• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hostage rescue shot with a 12ga

Wow, amazing. I’d be curious how many rounds behind that gun he had, or if he practiced a similar situation regularly. To me it looked like he knew he was going to take the shot and acted as soon as he had the slightest opening. Again, amazing shot!

Yessir. He was waiting for his “window of opportunity”.

After impacting the face/front of the skull, with all the pellets in an area approximately half the size of my fist, exactly how is birdshot going to penetrate all the way to the lower back portion of the skull where the brainstem is?

Like this. See tests on denim-covered meat from 10 feet
using #8 birdshot and then a #4 turkey load.
And, unlike this meat, a bad guy's head has a big nasal cavity and several sinuses that don't offer much resistance.

PS: The gelatin block test isn't the part of the video that's relevant.
It's the meat--ribs and a big shoulder cut.

It's a good thing he wasn't one of those dolts who think that you should have a wide pattern.

Wouldn't have mattered one bit for this shot, in the OP's video.
It looks like a 3 yard distance to target.
Even a cylinder bore SBS with an 11" or 12" bbl will keep all buckshot pellets in a tight cluster half the size of your fist.
And I don't mean when using Fed Flite control loads, either.

Like this. See tests on denim-covered meat from 10 feet
using #8 birdshot and then a #4 turkey load.
And, unlike this meat, a bad guy's head has a big nasal cavity and several sinuses that don't offer much resistance.

PS: The gelatin block test isn't the part of the video that's relevant.
It's the meat--ribs and a big shoulder cut.

Highly unlikely to hit a part of the brain that makes up 2.6% of the total mass. Also, there is “skull” behind both the eye sockets and the nasal cavities. I would definitely call that “resistance”. They aren’t holes that lead to the brain…….they’re more like shallow cavities. So those little bitty lead pellets have to penetrate bone to reach the brain stem.

Now, if you tried it with a bird, it would probably work, it being birdshot and all. Birdshot is for birds.

0AA8080A-F259-4B61-8C7E-9BF60CC60CDB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom