• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hornady FTX 44 Mag

Talos

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Hew many foe-men.
66   0
Reaction score
Looking for someone's experience with Hornady FTX 44 magnum bullets loaded with H110 powder. Load data specifies that the cases must be trimmed shorter so the OAL isn't too long to cycle in a lever gun. Therefore, powder charges are a bit less than if using any other 225 grain bullet. My question is, if you were loading for say a TC Contender then could you load these with normal length cases and regular 225 grain load data?

Looking for someone's experience with Hornady FTX 44 magnum bullets loaded with H110 powder. Load data specifies that the cases must be trimmed shorter so the OAL isn't too long to cycle in a lever gun. Therefore, powder charges are a bit less than if using any other 225 grain bullet. My question is, if you were loading for say a TC Contender then could you load these with normal length cases and regular 225 grain load data?
I would say so. The reason in the lever gun is so you can crimp in the crimp groove and still be short enough to fit the action. In a TC, you really don't have to have a crimp. You can seat your bullet out as far as the chamber will handle. Drop a bullet in the chamber, measure the depth with your depth gauge on your caliper. Then add that to the length of the bullet and you will have your max OAL for that barrel. As long as you seat it a few thousandths short of being in the grooves, most factory load data will be fine. Start low and work up as usual and you should be golden.

Just make sure to label them well "for use in Contender only".

Rosewood

Looking for someone's experience with Hornady FTX 44 magnum bullets loaded with H110 powder. Load data specifies that the cases must be trimmed shorter so the OAL isn't too long to cycle in a lever gun. Therefore, powder charges are a bit less than if using any other 225 grain bullet. My question is, if you were loading for say a TC Contender then could you load these with normal length cases and regular 225 grain load data?[/ find some load data for ruger only loads or tc contender. I had the same issue with 45 colt and found load data on the lil gun powder site for not trimming and have pushed my 225g up to 1450 fps.

Back
Top Bottom