• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Homemade Fire Starters

As a young man I had given by a friends dad some cloth bow-tie's he had made soaked in wax........whent home and burnt one and threw the rest of them in a drawer in the garage...........That was as close I have been to a home made fire starter..............I have always used and still Still use lighternaught to this day.

Take your dryer lint and stuff it into a toilet paper roll. Put some blocks of gulf wax into a pot and melt it. Put toilet paper rolls vertical and fill with wax. Once you have filled it up it will soak into the cardboard which will make it water proof. Depending on how tight you stuff the rolls they will generally burn for more than 10 min

Sugar rocket candy. Simple ingredients from Lowe's and the grocery store.

19.gif
Fire

I know the ol Cotton balls or rounds in vasoline then dipped in wax but ive been wondering if there was a better accelerant to use. Anyone ever tried making them with Kerosene or diesel fuel before coating with wax?

Random quarantine thoughts i figured id share

Trying to replicate or improve the performance of the Pathfinder Inferno starters
https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/mini-inferno

I did one with lamp oil, then wax. Wax never fully cured.

The best I’ve done is soaked in lighter fluid, then wax. I use cotton round disks. Pack them in shoe polish tins that can later make char cloth.

I’ve used them for starting charcoal for the grill many times.

Anyone tried mixing magnesium shavings in with the tinder before soaking in wax? I want to try it sometime....

Back
Top Bottom