• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Homemade Fire Starters

Flatblack79

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
1   0
Reaction score
I know the ol Cotton balls or rounds in vasoline then dipped in wax but ive been wondering if there was a better accelerant to use. Anyone ever tried making them with Kerosene or diesel fuel before coating with wax?

Random quarantine thoughts i figured id share

Trying to replicate or improve the performance of the Pathfinder Inferno starters
https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/mini-inferno

Many years ago I had a friend that would mix gas with Styrofoam and pour it into the paper egg cartons. When we would go camping rip one off and throw it into the fire. You could burn water with it

Many years ago I had a friend that would mix gas with Styrofoam and pour it into the paper egg cartons. When we would go camping rip one off and throw it into the fire. You could burn water with it
made me spit my damn upper out, got folks still starring at me, wife's on skype with her family.

Easier and safer to make in an electric skillet if ya have one. I pour it into cardboard tubes made from old TP rolls. If you wanna use them for fire starters while it's still fairly liquid stick in a 3" piece of visco fuse, then when it's all cooled and hardened dip the whole thing in wax to seal it up as the sugar in it might otherwise absorb water from the air. They burn great.....make big billowing clouds of white smoke.

Back
Top Bottom