• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home shooting range

if your brother-in-law is a convicted felon, the cops will probably come out and try to talk to you and him if you do some shooting on his property. Even if he doesn't touch a gun or ammo. It's perfectly legal for him to let you shoot on his property it's just that he can't do it but I think many officers would consider that would have reasonable suspicion to investigate any shooting coming from the property owned by a convicted felon who can't have firearms .

Thanks, I figure the first time will possibly get the LEOs out for a visit.

I have had a home shooting range for 48 years, every few years someone moves in to a house down the road and calls the law when they hear the shooting, law comes out, say they have to check to make sure its safe, never even had any of them ask for ID. The sherriff department use to come and shoot too, but that has been a few years.

note, Shooting on a CF property when he is at home is not against the law for him as long as he isn't the one doing the shooting.

Also they would have to run a check on him to know he was a CF and there isn't on its face a crime being commited, shooting isn't against the law on your own land provided it's safe and not in the city limits. ie: there isn't reasonable suspicion a crime is taking place, so no reason to demand ID or run a check. However they may ask for ID and if he provieds ID, check. So it would be best 1st that he isn't shooting or on the range with you when you are shooting ( if there is a house on the land he should stay inside if cops come) and 2nd if the cops show up while you are shooting you need to state you have permission to shoot on said land by the owner. If he gets caught with a firearm he will be needing to sale said land for a lawyer.

If his home is on the land I would not do it, if not I would go shoot but not take him with me, there are some officers that will take him to jail if they find he is a CF and let the courts sort it out even though he didn't break any laws, not because they are bad cops but because they are not sure what the law is (they are cops not lawyers or DAs) and error on the side of locking him up.
Most officers don't know most of the laws and when it comes to CF and firearms they are not going to take the chance to let him go if they are not sure.

If he has a trust and is on the list , he should be ok. Body armor too if same as above. Not legal advice your mileage may vary. Do your research or consult an attorney.

Why not go and speak to the LEO's?
Also go to the local judges office and ask him how he interprets the law.
This will go a long way with the LEO's if the question were to arise.
I had a problem years ago with a small town Chief of police.
After he was told I had been to the Judge, became a some what friend.
No more problems.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom