• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog and coyote

GaBoy95

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
12   0
Reaction score
Greetings from north Georgia.
I am not new to firearms but I am new to hunting. What scope are you running on your AR? Also, where can I find a hog hunt in our state? Any information and advice is much appreciated. thanks!

A scope with a true 1x power is what most people look for on an AR. Not sure of your budget but there are dozens of options ranging from a couple hundred bucks to a couple grand.

A solid AR scope that won’t break the bank is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8. Would probably be my choice under $400.

I prefer a standard 3x9x40 on my Ar for hog hunting. You don’t know if if your taking a 20 yard shot or 200 yard shot when your after hogs. I highly recommend guide service Salt Log Outfitters In central Ga for hog hunting the place is set up real nice.

I’m currently running a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 on my hunting AR. It’s just a matter of preference. I have hunted and killed hogs with fixed 1.5 power ACOGS, 1-6 scopes, Eotechs/red dots, and iron sights, and just whacked a yote last week with the 2.5-10. Just depends on the style hunting you are gonna do. I do a lot of stalking/still hunting where I sneak up pretty close on foot, so you don’t need a lot of scope for that. For stand hunting I like 1-6 for thick spots with fast action, and 2.5-10 or 3-9 for more open areas with longer shot opportunities. Buy the best glass you can afford, sure, you can kill a deer with cheap glass, but you don’t know what you are missing until you use some quality glass.
As for hogs, I’m pretty sure every WMA and National Forest in the state has them. The north GA public land has lower densities than the mid state river bottom properties and the coastal marsh properties. And the terrain is pretty rough, so getting a 200lb pig off a mountain can be a challenge for even an experienced hunter. I usually break my pigs down in the woods and carry the meat out in a framed pack. If you are new to hunting you probably want to start with squirrels/small game. You’ll learn a lot of woodsmanship chasing tree rats, and your hunts can double as big game scouting trips. I’m always scouting while hunting and marking sign, trails, topography on my GPS. Making friends with an experienced hunter can shorten the learning curve. Good luck.

I use SWFA 1-4 and SWFA 3-15s on my ARs. I love them. Great scope. Clear glass, crisp, loud, tactile clicks, return to zero, reliable turrets and tracking.

"There's several hundred thousands of acres of national forest in north and middle Georgia where you can hog and coyote hunt 24/7/365 for the cost of a hunting license."

Unfortunately hogs and coyotes cannot be hunted on public land 24/7/365 in Georgia.
WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREAS (WMAS)
HUNTING FERAL HOGS AND COYOTES Feral hogs and coyotes may be taken during any small or big game season with the appropriate lawful weapons. In addition, a coyote season will be held from May 16-31 on all WMAs, unless otherwise specified in the WMA listings on pages 48-69. On some WMAs during the May 16-31 season, feral hogs may be taken as specified by individual WMA listing. Daylight florescent orange is required, for both coyote and feral hogs. Electronic calls may be used. No night hunting or baiting allowed. Dogs are NOT allowed unless otherwise specified.

CHATTAHOOCHEE NATIONAL FOREST (outside of WMAs)
Coyotes may be hunted during open seasons with weapons restrictions for game species in season; no night hunting; electronic calls may be used.

OCONEE NATIONAL FOREST
Hogs may be taken only during daylight hours during deer and small game hunts with applicable weapons.
Coyotes may be taken during deer, turkey and small game hunts; weapons are restricted to legal firearms and archery equipment for the game species specified for a particular hunt as indicated heretofore; electronic calls may be used; night hunting is prohibited

Back
Top Bottom