• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hodge Defense M855A1 EPR barrels

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
194   0
Reaction score
With the development of the M855A1 EPR round came the need to “upgrade” the existing barrels. The EPR round operates at 62,000psi vs the M855 at 55,000psi. Gas ports were eroding, barrel life is shortened, and bolt wear is accelerated.

Jim Hodge of Hodge Defense addressed this issue with his barrels:

“Utilizing FN's proprietary steel and technology, these barrels were designed to Jim Hodge's demanding specifications and optimized for the military's M855A1 EPR ammunition which is much more demanding on barrels

M855A1 rounds operate at about 62,000 PSI (over 55k from M855) and are designed to perform to an expected standard of terminal performance and barrier penetration over a broader range of engagement distances; whereas previous ammunition was being criticized for being unstable and not providing consistent performance outside of a narrower optimal range.

The AU Mod 2 has been optimized for running M855A1 EPR, and this barrel is at the heart of that system.”

I don’t profess to understand the wizardry involved. Folks that have these barrels in the wild are claiming a barrel life of up to twice or more what a “standard” CHF CL barrel is getting, when using standard/non-M855A1 ammo.

What intrigues me the most is the accuracy and velocity claims. Depending upon the load used, end users are claiming velocities from the 12.5” HDSI barrels that are almost what they’re seeing from other companies’ 14.5” barrels.

Here’s data from one user I know. All velocities are from 10 round averages, using Magtech First Defense ammo with the CBC headstamp. This is a 77grn load that duplicates the Mk262 Mod 1 load, and has shown to be exceedingly accurate in the rifles and carbines I’ve tried it in.

12.5” Hodge: 2562fps

14” Black River Tactical: 2552fps

14.5” CMMG: 2597fps

14.5” Colt: 2575fps

The 12.5” Hodge shot a 1.3MOA group for those 10 rounds.

The other claim that I’m hearing from owners is the accuracy lasts longer, or hangs on a lot closer to the end of the barrel life.

Retail on the 12.5” or 14.5” HDSI barrels is $425. Quite a bit more than a “standard” CHF CL barrel by other quality manufacturers, but if it does in fact last twice as long, then it’s a savings in the long run.

I’ve got two of the 12.5” barrels en route. I wasn’t planning a build for me anytime soon, but looks like that will have to change!

Semper Fi!

Finding receivers is the only reason I haven’t done one.

I’m on the right notifications lists, and following the right folks on FB. Plus I’ve got some folks “in the know” looking out for me. Even with all that, the Hodge receivers sell out in seconds. Gotta be online, available, and quick on the trigger when they drop! That’s why I don’t have any yet. LOL

cmshoot cmshoot Are you aware if the m855a1 has been reduced in pressure to 55k? The rifle and carbine manual dated 2016 has it listed at 55,000 psi like the m855 round.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

cmshoot cmshoot Are you aware if the m855a1 has been reduced in pressure to 55k? The rifle and carbine manual dated 2016 has it listed at 55,000 psi like the m855 round.

Thank you

If so, then it won’t do what it was originally designed to do. Another failure by the US Army in their quest for a “green” round.

Thank you

The data that I sourced is from 11/12/2017. It shows the average chamber pressure of the M855A1 to be 61,830psi, with pressure levels as high as 62,900psi. A proof cartridge is 70,000psi. These numbers were achieved through actual live-fire testing, not Army published data.

The Army had fudged numbers and info before on this round.

Back
Top Bottom