• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High school cars....

Does this one thing counts as well? We had some...
:becky::becky:
7a9d7ab7-6d51-4fee-916c-862e20437849-jpeg.3050449

I swapped a Suzuki for a set of tires a year or so back that looked like that!

Went to school, worked 48 hours on the clock and another 30-40 hours off the clock for cash. Gave most of it to my Mom to support her. First bank loan was at age 12 for a bedroom set and a snapper riding mower. Bought a VW at age 16 with a $1600? dollar bank loan. Had it professionally souped up for another $1200. Insurance was a major factor in owning a VW versus a muscle car. I was offered a 33000 mile 440 Barracuda for $1200 in 1980, jumped on it then had to back out, couldn't afford the insurance and my house payment.
Cruiser,
I'm simply amazed...here I was in the sixth grade at age 12....I just had no idea that a sixth grader could work that much, and that hard(80 hours a week), and still attend school, and sleep. Your work ethic, at that age is to be commended!!! Still not too sure about a bank loan though....I'm not convinced that a bank would make a loan to a 12 year old....but hay....I don't make bank loans, so what do I know

I'm not convinced that a bank would make a loan to a 12 year old....but hay....I don't make bank loans, so what do I know

Life was different then, I stopped by the furniture store looking, owner asked me about my job then called over to the bank. I walked over, signed on the line and he delivered. Got a small lecture from the lady that ran the bank and that was it. Bank wasn't affiliated with anyone else and was owned by one man. A bit different today. And at age 12 it was only about 40 hours a week, at 16 it was a different story!

Cool...You should have gotten a driver and rode in the back seat just for kicks
I always wanted to build one of these myself using the front half of a convertible bug, cut the body behind the doors and weld it to another beetle that was cut just in front of the doors. That way you would have a chauffeur area for the front and the cabin of the second car would still be an intact sealed unit for the passengers. Maybe even turn the seats to face each other. Big ideas, no money to make it happen.

I had a 67 El Camino, but mine was modified a bit. Headers, custom 2 and 1/2 inch straight exhaust with glass packs, 3/4 race came, ported and polished, 670 CFM Carter 4 barrel, Hurst 3 speed floor shifter, a killer quad stereo (8 track), Michelins, racing suspension in the front, a section of railroad rail welded across the frame just in front of the rear bumper for balance. As a 16 year old, my dad loaned me $5000 cash, had me buy 120 small lambs. He let me run them on some of his pasturage, and fattened them up for sale. I made enough to pay him back and buy the Camino. Worked at a local gas station after school and weekends, could use the rack to work on it when not serving customers.
yeah I did the same thing..my first taste of my own V8...every paycheck went into it..until some drunk ass no insurance having idiot ran into me..totaled it. A run in with the cop who gave me a bogus ticket.. a court case (which I won ) and almost got ran over by the cop leaving court( he was pissed and got embarrassed because the Judge scolded him..badly) ..EPIC

Life was different then, I stopped by the furniture store looking, owner asked me about my job then called over to the bank. I walked over, signed on the line and he delivered. Got a small lecture from the lady that ran the bank and that was it. Bank wasn't affiliated with anyone else and was owned by one man. A bit different today. And at age 12 it was only about 40 hours a week, at 16 it was a different story!
A truly amazing story!!
I can't even begin to think how proud your parents must have been....a 6th...or 7th grader holding down a full time job, and attending elementary school...my hat is off.... I can tell that I'm quite impressed....I thought I was a hard worker, however I see, I was a slouch compared to you....then 80 hours by high school....once again amazing!!
Oh...just one more question....if you were working all that time....why did you need a loan to buy bedroom furniture??
I'm done here... it's a wonderful thing to have such a work ethic!! I'm sure you are quite successful today...I wish you all the goodness Biden will afford on you...and us as well!!

Back
Top Bottom