• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High Prices? Stupid Prices?

....One of my all-time worst misses, stopped at Baker Motors used car lot on Peachtree St. one day in ‘68. They had a ‘66 427 4 speed coupe, burgundy with matching interior, factory knock-offs and side pipes. $3500. Passed on it. Imagine what that one would bring today.

I remember Baker Motors in Buckhead. I went to high school in the area.

My Dad bought a house off Mt. Paran RD for $62,000. I wonder what it's worth today? :teapot:

Nonetheless, $3500 was then a huge amount of money for a car that got 8 Mpg + high insurance costs.

I thought prices in the auctions were high. You then have to sign an agreement that holds everyone harmless from any misrepresentation. And pay a 8% commission and pay to ship it home (AZ charges you AZ State taxes to drive in home).

And the 66 would be in the same condition as the one in photo having taken it out for spins and no money spent on it?? Just not sure keeping a car for 50 years is a good “investment”. I used to tell my wife when I bought motorcycles, cars that they were an investment. Never mentioned that they were not good investments.

You gotta live a little...I'm all for investing and early retirement. But I also own a bunch of toys. As long as I am not broke from any of my hobbies...I count it as win.

I agree with toys but not paying silly prices for them.

I bought this 2019 Shelby G350 last last year.
Voodoo3a.jpg

I am looking for another new car to park next to it.

Very nice! Were you on a Tail of the Dragon run? Done that twice....

I have done the Tail of the Dragon 12 times. I do an over-night while staying in Tallassee, TN. The Tail moves in and out of the borders of TN and NC.

The only good time is just after dawn and just before dark. The mid-day is a waste of time.

I have done Six Gaps here in GA. I did it 6 times last year and one time this year (1-1-20 = Polar Bear Rally):

SixGapRG.gif

The Polar Bear Rally had 5 Mustangs. We usually had a variety of cars, but I guess they were hung-over. :)

PBR2020.jpg

I have done the Tail of the Dragon 12 times. I do an over-night while staying in Tallassee, TN. The Tail moves in and out of the borders of TN and NC.

The only good time is just after dawn and just before dark. The mid-day is a waste of time.

I have done Six Gaps here in GA. I did it 6 times last year and one time this year (1-1-20 = Polar Bear Rally):

SixGapRG.gif

The Polar Bear Rally had 5 Mustangs. We usually had a variety of cars, but I guess they were hung-over. :)

PBR2020.jpg

Wow...12 times! You are getting close to knowing each turn at that rate! :thumb::thumb:

Been twice and loved it. As you say, it's hard to get a good time where it's not packed with normal cars, RVs or just people who are looking at leaves. Last time, we went late on a Friday afternoon and it wasn't too bad.

Wow...12 times! You are getting close to knowing each turn at that rate!

Yes, I am familiar with the run which is about +/- 15 miles.

They have that graveyard at the entrance which has thousands of parts of wrecked and destroyed vehicles (there are a lot of motorcycle parts).

I have at least 100 runs in the SixGaps of the north GA mountains. This is a lot of fun. I am in Sandy Springs so one hour away from the best road (Highway 60 to Suches and beyond).

I go to Mecum in Kissimmee every year and the muscle car market is starting to go soft. A lot of “Bid goes on” on the block. Even the gen 2 Corvettes weren’t pulling what the did last year. The vast majority of buyers are 50+ and the younger generation doesn’t know how nor wants to turn a wrench on a 396 or SB Chevy or Ford. The resto mods are still pulling big $ especially with LS conversions and chassis mods.
Are you going this year? I'm considering it (never been). I'd seriously need to not bring any cash.

Back
Top Bottom