• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High-end coolers?

I've had two Yeti's (Tundra 65 and a Rodie 20) for a couple years now and love them. Worth every dime imo.

Ice retention varies with pre-chilling items, direct/indirect sun exposure and of course outside temperature. I've experienced 3-6+ days of ice retention in mine.

I've used dry ice in both on several occasions and it's obviously superior but you have to be careful and use a good barrier (layers of heavy mil cardboard work well) or cans and bottles will freeze quickly and burst.

One thing to keep in mind is you are also paying for durability and longevity with a high end cooler.

I'm sure the Pelican's are great too.
How long does the dry ice last? I have a 9 may trip coming up and it's an experiment that I'm wanting to see if I can have cold drinks without buying new ice. Lol

All my cheaper coolers have held up pretty well just the hinges have broke from time to time but that's a cheap fix from Academy. With the exception of one super cheap cooler I have and I set on the lid while we were at the lake and it caved the lid in.

Do you know how many bags of ice 400 will buy. Ever just looked into an ice maker lol?I use a cooler everyday of my life.... and I still can't figure the value of a 400 dollar cooler.
On this last trip ice was a 45 minute drive from camp. We made three trips over 4 days to get ice. That's 4.5 hours of driving just for ice on one trip. The yeti will be money well spent.

I have had both Yeti and Pelican.... Guy's.... Pelican win's hands down!

Both coolers held ice about the same...

Yeti has these crappy stretchy handles that I had to replace.... it was durable but the handle system sucks and so did customer service....

Pelican has a better inside set up vs the Yeti....

Like I said, I've owned both and the Pelican is hands down better construction and better warranty..... it's just not as mainstream advertised as the Yeti...

I'm partial to the Yeti but I've got experience with it. Last weekend my Yeti 65 sat on a boat in Charleston for 4 days of hard fishing with no shade (used it as a casting platform, cooler, bow weight, and seat) and it kept everything inside icy cold and there was still a ton of ice left for the 5 hour trip back home to hold the fillets cold in the back of my truck. I've had 30 pounds of ice last 5 days in less than optimal conditions and constant use of opening and closing. Everything was still icy cold at the end of the five days too.
I do pre-cool it and use a handful of rock salt to maximize ice retention. This is recommended for all long term ice retention coolers.

How long does the dry ice last? I have a 9 may trip coming up and it's an experiment that I'm wanting to see if I can have cold drinks without buying new ice. Lol

Actually not as long as you'd think but it depends on the amount you put in and again, whether or not you pre-cool items. A couple days at max in my experiences but I haven't really been able to experiment longevity with dry ice as each time I've used it it's been a small amount over a large amount of warm cans and/or bottles. It will rapidly cool warm drinks to a slush and like I mentioned, will freeze and rupture them if you're not careful.

I should have clarified superior in my above post meaning it will chill more items much quicker with a less amount as compared to conventional ice. I've heard/read block ice is the best thing to use but have not tried it myself.

I think Adventure Outdoors has FREE ICE FOR LIFE with purchase of a Yeti cooler... If you live close that would be a good deal.

Back
Top Bottom