• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High-end coolers?

My Yeti was stolen out of my truck on Monday. Only in the store for a few minutes. It was a great cooler but there were not all these options 6 or 7 years ago when I got mine. I need to replace but the "slush fund" is a little low right now. Anybody have experience withe the Igloo Sportsman $ looks like a good choice and they are only $200 at Sam's. Made in America and same 5 year warranty as Yeti. I like the Pelican and can testify to the toughness of the cases I have had there photo bags for years. I had a Pelcan case fall out of an overloaded convertible when I swerved to avoid a collision and watched it slide down the road and get hit by a car. My Hassy 501c was safe inside.

Man that sucks. I hate that for you.

The room it look familiar. Bay City Lodge Apalachicola ???

No, its my front den/man cave.

I completely understand wanting to buy a quality product especially if you will be using it a lot. But I DO NOT understand paying what Yeti coolers go for. I think it's just another redneck trend. It's another sticker for the truck rear window to go next to the Costa sunglasses sticker. Seriously, after you pay close to $400.00 for one of their coolers what can you put in it, maybe a pack of bologna and 6 Milwaukee's Best?

Completely agree. The self justification for spending that kind of money on a cooler cracks me up.

I'll give it to the guys who figured out they could market something that nobody ever cared about before, and turning it into the next "must have" for all guys who put company logo decals on their truck windows.

I'm thinking I need to bring to market the $250 ball cap. The first and most important step is creating a catchy logo (for stickers, coozies, etc.). Come up with a ball cap that is "indestructible", has a lifetime warranty, keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter, has the SPF fabric, and has overbuilt rubberized adjustment hardware. Make it in white, tan, OD green, and market it for the hardcore fisherman, hunter, and UGA tailgater, and you'd have the next big thing.

This thread is out of my price range, but I stopped by the Coleman factory outlet store while hanging out at SMKW last weekend.

They were packed with coolers, all at clearance prices.
Everything from Yeti - style tornado shelters to 12-volt coolers, 100-120-150 quart coolers, college logos and NFL teams, and all sizes.

So this is cooler sale time of year, and if you have a Coleman outlet near you, check it out.

This is not a scientific test by any means, but I have a Pelican and my father-in-law has a Yeti. We used both for a party on Sunday. The Yeti has been all water (still cold) for the last 2 days and the Pelican still has some ice floating in it. The footprint of the Pelican is massive though. I think the Pelican has the better ice retention if you're comparing it to a Yeti.

If someone has a 45 quart Pelican near Dalton/Chatsworth I'd gladly do a side by side comparison with it and the Yeti so the question could be answered of which is better in an unbiased test.

If someone has a 45 quart Pelican near Dalton/Chatsworth I'd gladly do a side by side comparison with it and the Yeti so the question could be answered of which is better in an unbiased test.

Yeah, by no means was my test scientific. Neither cooler was pre-cooled and I'm sure one was opened more times during the party than the other. By comparison, our $20 Coleman is nothing but water the next day.

Yeah, by no means was my test scientific. Neither cooler was pre-cooled and I'm sure one was opened more times during the party than the other. By comparison, our $20 Coleman is nothing but water the next day.

That's what I would like to do, same size cooler same amount of ice, same amount of time opened and closed. That would be the only way to truly know. And I would prechill both as well.

That's what I would like to do, same size cooler same amount of ice, same amount of time opened and closed. That would be the only way to truly know. And I would prechill both as well.

I have a 35-quart Pelican and my father-in-law has the 45-quart Yeti. The capacity of the 35-quart Pelican is actually more than the 45-quart Yeti. This is probably about the closest comparison per this chart:

comparison.JPG

If someone is truly interested in this, I could probably run a similar test.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom