• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High-end coolers?

Theres a lot of great coolers out there now and I checked out pretty much all of them before I spent my money:

Frigid Rigid, Yeti, Pelican, Grizzly, Engel, K2, Coleman Esky, Icey-Tek, Orca, Frostbite, Canyon, Igloo Yukon, True Blue, Brute Outdoors, Ice Kool, Icebox, Gander Mtn Permachill, Ice Mate and maybe a few others.

I compared reviews, features, robustness, warranty, where its made, actual internal size & cost thus giving me a overall 'value for money' perspective. After I checked out everything it was down to a toss up between Pelican & Grizzly although I mulled it over for a few weeks, I decided I just couldn't warm to the latches on the Pelican.
So I have 4 Grizzlys. 16qt 60qt 75qt & 150qt.

When comparing them to Yeti:
Grizzly are 100% made in the USA, even the steel in the hinges is US steel. Yeti are made in the Philippines.
Grizzly are slightly bigger than the quart rating. Yetis are rated with a number but that number doesn't represent the quart size so they are about 12-15% smaller in quarts than the number suggests. For example my Grizzly 60 is 62 quarts internally, whereas a Yeti 75 is only about 64 quarts internally.
Grizzly are about 2/3 the price of a Yeti but I got another 30% off Grizzly when I had a free coupon from Overstock.
They both have nice non-slip rubber feet which are replaceable.
They both have drain plugs.
Grizzly aren't as attractive to thieves in my opinion.
Grizzly have a lifetime warranty. Yeti have a 5 year.
Grizzly & Yeti are both certified bear proof by the IGBC (yeah right, a wild Grizzly can crush a truck like its an empty soda can, but whatever).
I have an ice machine at home so I'm not too worried about having to buy ice but I can honestly leave the 16 or 60 (thats what I use for work) in my work vehicle for 4-5 days in the summer 100F+ and the drinks are still ice cold even a day after the last piece of ice melts.

Aside from all that, I really got them because I know I'll never have to buy another cooler, I have every size I need. But I'm the type of person who would break an Anvil so I needed something tough with a lifetime guarantee which is why i picked them over Yeti. Also my buddys Yeti developed a warped lid after the warranty ran out and he wasn't happy about the customer service which refused to replace it and only offered him 10% off a new $900 cooler.

As for spending 'all that money on a cooler': I normally went through 2-3 $60-$80 coolers during hunting season. I was fed up with them cracking inside and the lids breaking off when I washed them, stood on them, or they fell off the truck. Several times when I picked them up when they were loaded with meat/drinks/ice, the handles would snap and the cooler would fall, cracking it ect Igloo, Coleman Extreme etc I've had them all and although they were still somewhat usable after being damaged, I've never had one make it to the next hunting season completely intact. These have just started their 3rd season and are as good as new. They have fallen off roofs, trucks, forklifts & 4wheelers, they have been stood on by more than 1 person at the same time, they have been hit by 4wheelers, used as axle stands for a SxS...and still as good as new bar some light scratches.

i299.photobucket.com_albums_mm295_stevyg_IMG_7449_zps45f92997.jpg

Last edited:
Theres a lot of great coolers out there now and I checked out pretty much all of them before I spent my money:

Frigid Rigid, Yeti, Pelican, Grizzly, Engel, Coleman Esky, Icey-Tek, Orca, Frostbite, Canyon, Igloo Yukon, True Blue, Brute Outdoors, Ice Kool, Icebox, Gander Mtn Permachill, Ice Mate and maybe a few others.

I compared reviews, features, robustness, warranty, where its made, actual internal size & cost thus giving me a overall 'value for money' perspective. After I checked out everything it was down to a toss up between Pelican & Grizzly although I mulled it over for a few weeks, I decided I just couldn't warm to the latches on the Pelican.

Grizzly are 100% made in the USA, even the steel in the hinges is US steel. Yeti are made in the Philippines.
Grizzly are slightly bigger than the quart rating. Yetis are rated with a number but that number doesn't represent the quart size so they are about 12-15% smaller in quarts than the number suggests. For example my Grizzly 60 is 62 quarts internally, whereas a Yeti 75 is only about 64 quarts internally.
Grizzly are about 2/3 the price of a Yeti but I got another 30% off Grizzly when I had a free coupon from Overstock.
Grizzly & Yeti are both certified bear proof by the IGBC (yeah right, a wild Grizzly can crush a truck like its an empty soda can, but whatever).
I have an ice machine at home so I'm not too worried about having to buy ice but I can honestly leave the 16 or 60 (thats what I use for work) in my work vehicle for 4-5 days in the summer 100F+ and the drinks are still ice cold even a day after the last piece of ice melts.

Aside from all that, I really got them because I know I'll never have to buy another cooler, I have every size I need. But I'm the type of person who would break an Anvil so I needed something tough with a lifetime guarantee which is why i picked them over Yeti. Also my buddys Yeti developed a warped lid after the warranty ran out and he wasn't happy about the customer service which refused to replace it and only offered him 10% off a new $900 cooler.

As for spending 'all that money on a cooler': I normally went through 2-3 $60-$80 coolers during hunting season. I was fed up with them cracking inside and the lids breaking off when I washed them, stood on them, or they fell off the truck. Several times when I picked them up when they were loaded with meat/drinks/ice, the handles would snap and the cooler would fall, cracking it ect Igloo, Coleman Extreme etc I've had them all and although they were still somewhat usable after being damaged, I've never had one make it to the next hunting season completely intact. These have just started their 3rd season and are as good as new. They have fallen off roofs, trucks, forklifts & 4wheelers, they have been stood on by more than 1 person at the same time, they have been hit by 4wheelers, used as axle stands for a SxS...and still as good as new bar some light scratches.

Awesome man, thanks for that info.. had never heard of them, but Sounds like a damn good cooler AND USA made? For the win!

A at didn't you like about the pelican latches? I like how easy they are to open.

I absolutely agree, they are easy to open and I liked that feature too. I just thought for me, they were the only structural weak link on the cooler. If the latches were open and I dropped it or it fell for example, they would probably snap off. If it fell directly on the latch, even when closed it would probably crack it. But the Pelicans are definitely one of the better extreme coolers and I'd still buy one over a Yeti.

If I buy a bigger cooler it will be a Pelican, Engel, or grizzly. I would have bought one to start with but the Pelican and Grizzly are to big to fit in the truck of the car with luggage when we're going on vacation and no one locally sold the Engle brand. Still happy with the Yeti for a good all around cooler, it might change in however many years down the road but as of now I happy.

My Yeti was stolen out of my truck on Monday. Only in the store for a few minutes. It was a great cooler but there were not all these options 6 or 7 years ago when I got mine. I need to replace but the "slush fund" is a little low right now. Anybody have experience withe the Igloo Sportsman $ looks like a good choice and they are only $200 at Sam's. Made in America and same 5 year warranty as Yeti. I like the Pelican and can testify to the toughness of the cases I have had there photo bags for years. I had a Pelcan case fall out of an overloaded convertible when I swerved to avoid a collision and watched it slide down the road and get hit by a car. My Hassy 501c was safe inside.

Frigid Rigid, Yeti, Pelican, Grizzly, Engel, Coleman Esky, Icey-Tek, Orca, Frostbite, Canyon, Igloo Yukon, True Blue, Brute Outdoors, Ice Kool, Icebox, Gander Mtn Permachill, Ice Mate and maybe a few others.

i299.photobucket.com_albums_mm295_stevyg_IMG_7449_zps45f92997.jpg

The room it look familiar. Bay City Lodge Apalachicola ???

Back
Top Bottom