• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High dollar caged deer hunts.

I’ll never pass judgement for how one likes to hunt or by what means they use to get a deer in front of them, as long as it is legal. If somebody wants to go sit in a fenced in area and hunt a deer for 1,000’s of dollars, it’s their right and their money.

Hunt, kill, eat. If it is legal make your own choices. I have a friend with a lot of money that goes on one hunt a year that costs him about 8k. He and his wife eat the animal and he mounts it. They don't look like real deer to me but he seems to enjoy it and traveling out of state. He is in his 70's. He knows how I hunt and has invited me several times to go with him. I respectfully decline but he knows how I feel about it. It is not something I would choose but it is a free country and like my friend he uses every part of the animal. I tell him I could buy a good used car for what he puts out for his" hunts" every year....lol.
I have a (very wealthy) former high school classmate that bought a high fenced operaiton in Texas. We reconnected recently. He has asked me several times to go "hunt" there. He has all kinds of exoctics. It's about 1,000 acres, 2/3 is high fenced, the rest not/low fenced. The place is first class when it comes to the amenities and equipment. He has told me multiple times "Come anytime you want, shoot anything you want, I don't even have to be here." I've polited declined and told him maybe one day I'll go hunt on the LOW fenced portion. I would think he's smart enough to figure it out by now. But then again, he's a Democrat, soooo... Gee, a liberal thinking shooting animals in a cage is 'hunting', who'd a thunk it?

Caged hunts pander to the basest form of humanity there is. They use (or own) deer farms which are why we have CWD running rampant in this country today (nickle says it'll be in Georgia by the end of this year or next, thank you corn piles). CWD is the single biggest threat to cervid hunting we have in this country. Caged 'hunts' are also rightfully the number one thing used by anti's to show how perverse 'hunters' are. Hard to argue with them on that point. Do a little research on deer farms and canned hunts and if as a hunter you decide this is even neutral for the sport or more importantly the resource, do more research.

In Texas the state test deer for CWD and the ranch test the deer for CWD. They sell more deer for breeding by other farms than they do for hunting. They do not want CWD and take an active role in testing and prevention. They also quarantine deer in a pen before they are released into the ranch or sold and moved from the ranch. It gives them time to test for any health issues. I agree corn piles may become a bigger problem. One thing I noticed when visiting Wisconsin in the winter was in many areas the deer all grouped up and ran together as a herd in snow. I wonder how that affected things.

In Texas the state test deer for CWD and the ranch test the deer for CWD. They sell more deer for breeding by other farms than they do for hunting. They do not want CWD and take an active role in testing and prevention. They also quarantine deer in a pen before they are released into the ranch or sold and moved from the ranch. It gives them time to test for any health issues. I agree corn piles may become a bigger problem. One thing I noticed when visiting Wisconsin in the winter was in many areas the deer all grouped up and ran together as a herd in snow. I wonder how that affected things.
Yeah, too little too late. They are simply monitoring the plague at this point. https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/tracking/#texasCWD Concentrated feeding, natural or otherwise is unhealthy when it comes to the spread of disease. The fact we, as supposed stewards of the resource, are tripling down on increasing it with corn piles is unconsionable. But short sighted and self centered has never been in short supply when it comes to hunters unfortunately.

That’s messed up!! I’m all about an amazing mount (never would have the $ for a 10k hunt) but you better believe I’m gonna have some sausage and burgers while I sit and admire his head on my wall.

Back
Top Bottom