• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High dollar caged deer hunts.

So what happens to the meat? My processor has a hunters for the hungry sign outside his door. I’ve only killed one deer in two seasons, but I only need two or three to fill my freezer. If I fill my freezer and want to donate the rest of the meat to friends, family or a food bank should I quit hunting. I would never kill anything and let it go to waste, period, not gonna happen. But if this guy took what he paid 10k for and then the meat ended up in a food bank I don’t see a huge ethics problem. I’m not in the woods to feed my family, thank god, they would starve. The meat is great. but it’s last on my reasons for hunting.
I'm sure the lodge used it. Nobody who pays thousands of dollars to pick a deer out of a catalog is killing for food.

I'm sure the lodge used it. Nobody who pays thousands of dollars to pick a deer out of a catalog is killing for 'food'.

I’m not killing for food either. I’m gonna eat that tasty deer all year long but I’m killing for sport. I hunt for the solitude, the peace, the beauty, the adrenaline, the excitement and disappointment, the hopes of getting a trophy the list could keep going and eventually I would land on meat. If meat where higher on my list I’d be in trouble. I’ve killed one measly deer that was barely out of its spots. I get all the meet I want from my buddy whose brother owns a processor in Monticello.

It seems that paying 10k takes all the things on my list of reasons why I hunt out of it. Don’t think I would bother. I just don’t get the outrage. Look I know I’m walking in here like a troll but I’m not trolling. Seems like a solid business plan on the side of the ranch. Nothing goes to waste. Rich dude gets to spend money. And the buck got to live in the lap of luxury, eating the most nutritious food on the planet, surrounded by the healthiest does available until he didn’t.

I’m not killing for food either. I’m gonna eat that tasty deer all year long but I’m killing for sport. I hunt for the solitude, the peace, the beauty, the adrenaline, the excitement and disappointment, the hopes of getting a trophy the list could keep going and eventually I would land on meat. If meat where higher on my list I’d be in trouble. I’ve killed one measly deer that was barely out of its spots. I get all the meet I want from my buddy whose brother owns a processor in Monticello.

It seems that paying 10k takes all the things on my list of reasons why I hunt out of it. Don’t think I would bother. I just don’t get the outrage. Look I know I’m walking in here like a troll but I’m not trolling. Seems like a solid business plan on the side of the ranch. Nothing goes to waste. Rich dude gets to spend money. And the buck got to live in the lap of luxury, eating the most nutritious food on the planet, surrounded by the healthiest does available until he didn’t.
Caged hunts pander to the basest form of humanity there is. They use (or own) deer farms which are why we have CWD running rampant in this country today (nickle says it'll be in Georgia by the end of this year or next, thank you corn piles). CWD is the single biggest threat to cervid hunting we have in this country. Caged 'hunts' are also rightfully the number one thing used by anti's to show how perverse 'hunters' are. Hard to argue with them on that point. Do a little research on deer farms and canned hunts and if as a hunter you decide this is even neutral for the sport or more importantly the resource, do more research.

Caged hunts pander to the basest form of humanity there is. They use (or own) deer farms which are why we have CWD running rampant in this country today (nickle says it'll be in Georgia by the end of this year or next, thank you corn piles). CWD is the single biggest threat to cervid hunting we have in this country. Caged 'hunts' are also rightfully the number one thing used by anti's to show how perverse 'hunters' are. Hard to argue with them on that point. Do a little research on deer farms and canned hunts and if as a hunter you decide this is even neutral for the sport or more importantly the resource, do more research.

I’ll look it up. I will admit I am completely ignorant to how it all works.

Im also sure the meat isn’t wasted but the original post sounded like it wouldn’t matter. Taking it and someone getting it is fine. However if you just want a pretty head on the wall they are for sale everywhere. Theres not much in my mind to be proud of when you tell everyone look what I got , when someone said sit here wait and about 0900 they will show up. Oh yeah if you get chills just turn on heater in corner and theres drinks in that cooler Good luck. Kinda the way I look at it but hey I could be wrong

Im also sure the meat isn’t wasted but the original post sounded like it wouldn’t matter. Taking it and someone getting it is fine. However if you just want a pretty head on the wall they are for sale everywhere. Theres not much in my mind to be proud of when you tell everyone look what I got , when someone said sit here wait and about 0900 they will show up. Oh yeah if you get chills just turn on heater in corner and theres drinks in that cooler Good luck. Kinda the way I look at it but hey I could be wrong
The ones with the bells on the feeders are my 'favorite'.

So a girl from my Wife’s workplace was bragging about this monster trophy deer her Husband got this week at one of those $10,000 guaranteed caged trophy “hunts.”
My wife said “Wow that deer is big....you’re gonna have plenty of meat in the freezer.
The girl said “Oh he just wants to mount it not eat it.”

Wife said “What an azz hole.....my Husband would probably punch him in the mouth.”.....and walked away.

The whole room got silent....lol.

Yeah that's the reason Hunter's have bad raps. Bragging to his buddies about his big deer. He needs a big ol asswhooping.

My kinda woman right ther.

He definitely picked a winner.

Back in the old days among the mountain folks and westerners it was almost a universal sentiment that mountain lion was the best meat of all.

I don't really care what people shoot, or why, as long as they are not imposng on anyone else, but shooting something that is a guarantee, and only because the individual paid a certain amount, that ain't hunting.
I don't think shooting over a baited field is very fair either.Hunt in the woods on even terms.Hunting with muzzle loaders that are really high power rifles.Crossbows with scopes durning archery season all over baited fields,fair if you say so.

Back
Top Bottom