• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High dollar caged deer hunts.

Watch a Ted Nugent SOTW episode today on YouTube. Said sme guy wigged out n social media about him shooting a cougar .

Dude said why you kill something like that just for sport.

Ted said he told the dude cougar backstraps were delicious ... Lol

Back in the old days among the mountain folks and westerners it was almost a universal sentiment that mountain lion was the best meat of all.

I don't really care what people shoot, or why, as long as they are not imposng on anyone else, but shooting something that is a guarantee, and only because the individual paid a certain amount, that ain't hunting.

Some of those "caged" hunts are still work. I met a guy who is a caretaker for a place in Texas they have a 2,100 acre cage. He says while they work at breeding big bucks there are bucks he has only ever seen on camera.

Im not so against 2-3 or more thousand acres fenced but to hunt only for what’s on the head and couldn’t care less about what happens with the rest I will never understand. That’s why I don’t shoot a bobcat or lot of other animals, im not killing anything just to mount ( that’s just me )

So what happens to the meat? My processor has a hunters for the hungry sign outside his door. I’ve only killed one deer in two seasons, but I only need two or three to fill my freezer. If I fill my freezer and want to donate the rest of the meat to friends, family or a food bank should I quit hunting. I would never kill anything and let it go to waste, period, not gonna happen. But if this guy took what he paid 10k for and then the meat ended up in a food bank I don’t see a huge ethics problem. I’m not in the woods to feed my family, thank god, they would starve. The meat is great. but it’s last on my reasons for hunting.

Back
Top Bottom