• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heresy?

triharder72

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
94   0
Reaction score
No, this isn't a thread about whether the gun community should give up on Trump like he gave up bump stocks quicker than fat girl on prom night gives up her ... well, you get the picture.

This is about the greatest battle implement ever devised. I've been wanting a Garand for a while and really like the idea of the Criterion barreled 308 conversions to shoot a caliber that I already know and love ... and have a fair amount of ammo for ... with a brand new barrel vs traditional 3006 M2 with an unknown barrel other than ME and TE readings. Realizing the above statement clearly says the practical answer is 308, the reality is a Garand is not a practical purchase, it's more of an emotional historical purchase. Am I a heretic for even thinking this?

If your looking for a 308 rifle on this kind of platform, I would just get an M1A. You can get a brand new from the factory gun in the caliber you want. No need to mess with a piece of history.

The U. S. military converted some .30-o6 Garands to 7.62 NATO, by using a chamber adapter / insert that could be removed in a few minutes with a broken shell extractor.

Get the Garand in whatever caliber you want. The .308 is nothing but a shortened .30-06 anyway.

If that’s what you want, get it. I’ve owned several M1’s and several M1A’s and I enjoyed them differently. Love the 8 round clips of the M1, as well as the “ping” when that final round is fired. I prefer them in .30-06, but they’re a blast in any caliber.

Back
Top Bottom