• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help understanding GA gun laws for service members

Medic86

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently moved to Fort Benning and I'm just looking for clarification on the gun laws here. I've been told that if you have orders stationing you in Georgia, you are considered a resident for the purposes of buying a gun etc...

Basically, that I don't need a GA state license.

Can anyone offer clarification?

Thank you!

Correct. That's how it is with any military move. When I was at Hood, Leonardwood, and Bragg the gun shops just asked for my state issued ID, Mil ID, and orders showing I am stationed there. Gun shops outside post were way easier to deal with then the PX gun shops, oddly enough.

I even purchased guns at the infamous Guns Galore at Fort Hood, and they were easy to deal with.

GA code 16-11-130 says if you are in the military service of the state or of the United States you do not need a Georgia weapons carry license (GWL).

However, if you wish to have a GWL, then code section 16-11-129 (a)(1)
says that you are eligiblebased on being stationed here.

There are several Code sections in Georgia where being excused from having a GWL is not regarded as the same as actually having been issued one, and the difference in how GWL holders are treated can be serious, legally.
So if you are eligible and if you intend to carry a gun with you in many various places around the state and at different types of facilities, I would recommend getting a GWL.

Hi Guys,

I recently moved to Fort Benning and I'm just looking for clarification on the gun laws here. I've been told that if you have orders stationing you in Georgia, you are considered a resident for the purposes of buying a gun etc...

Basically, that I don't need a GA state license.

Can anyone offer clarification?

Thank you!

Actually, I believe that is federal law, and applies in any state. Federal law controls residency for firearm purchase purposes. States may have different rules for firearms purchases in the state, which may or may not contemplate military residents.

Also it's all irrelevant in GEORGIA (and most other southern states if you want to purchase a long gun from an
ffl

Back
Top Bottom