• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HELP!!! Savage Model 10 SSP Chamber Issue

1   0
Reaction score
Well, this thing has me flummoxed! Last time I took this rifle to the range, I had shot around ten good rounds through it. I mainly wanted to check my zero, plus show off a bit to some of my fellow beat up vets. This thing is a one hole gun all day, and I’ve never had a lick of trouble out of it before. I was shooting one round at a time, loading them by hand after every shot, so I wouldn’t end up with rounds in the blind mag when cease fire was called. What ended up being the last round (almost) loaded was brought up short when I couldn’t close the bolt. At first, I couldn’t open the bolt either, as it wouldn’t pull back to eject the live round. I kept the barrel pointed down range, and used the heel of my hand to hit the bolt handle straight back. Eventually the bolt slid open, and the round was ejected. I had a buddy watching, so we retrieved the round to examine it. That round was fine, but we couldn’t find the case from the last round fired. I’m just about 100% certain that part of the case neck separated from the fired round, and remains lodged in the chamber. I’ve got the rifle completely taken apart to ease my work, but I’m having a hell of a time even seeing anything out of place in the chamber neck. I loaded a dummy round with the neck completely covered with a sharpie, and gently pressed it into the chamber with the bolt. The marker was rubbed off all the way around the case in an extremely narrow band, a little less than 1/8th of an inch wide. After thoroughly soaking the chamber and barrel with some good old Hoppes #9, and then thoroughly cleaning both, I’ve tried to either snag the lip of the case neck, or get under it with a small flat head or a pick. All to no avail! Any ideas from any of you gun gurus would be much appreciated. I really don’t want my most accurate long range gun down ever, but with all that’s going on now it’s really motivating me to get it fixed up. Thanks in advance fellas, your help is much needed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom