• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Please

there used to be a really good reloading "how to" thread, I was thinking @RamRoddoc had posted one. Somewhere over the years it's disappeared or maybe it was on the old forum..

I normally recommend starting with a single stage press because even if you get into it and buy a progressive or something like a Dillon 550, having a single stage is still good for developing loads, precision rounds (yes I know you can make very good ammo with a dillon), and just general brass prep.

Lee makes the best "bang for the buck" presses and kits. RCBS, Hornady and Lyman all make presses and kits that might be a small step up or might have some features you might like, and then you get into the mid to higher end presses like the Dillons but having a good single stage is always a good idea.

The lee turret press is fine to get started with. It would really help to get a reloading manual and watch some you tube videos. Make sure to get a scale, and take the time to learn how to balance it and use it correctly. The amount of powder must be consistent. Check it often with the scale. At least every 50-100 rounds if using the Lee Powder dipper. I prefer to use a hand primer. See link below. It's just more consistent and you end up saving time by sizing, trimming(if needed), and priming your brass prior to reloading. Make sure to use recommended reloading specs from the manufacturer. I found that the Lee Press does need to be checked for Case Overall Length as you go. The C.O.L. is the case(brass length) in combination with the projectile. You need to make sure your brass is the correct length for all your cartridge's(some cartridge's are much more forgiving and you can have some variation). Trim your brass if needed with a brass trimmer. Then make sure the bullet depth is always to spec by the powder manufacturer. The combination of correct brass length and bullet depth will give you the correct Case Overall Length. Before you make a ton of one type of bullet make sure it will chamber your rounds and cycle them. I found that some of my CZ pistols and .45acp pistols only like certain C.O.L. depending on the type of projectile you are using. You may also have a short chamber in your rifle that would prevent the bolt from fully closing. My Tikka doesn't like longer C.O.L. bullets. Just chamber a few rounds to make sure that the bullets your making will chamber. If in doubt ask the community and you can get a lot of help.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming/hand-held/16-90200.html

LeeReloading .jpg

You're not far down the road from me.. If you haven't gotten a setup yet, I might be able help you out.. Lee turret or single stage presses + Lots of other goodies. What calibers were you looking to reload?

Reloading isn’t that hard it’s just very unforgiving if you don’t follow the right steps. Here are a couple of rules that I follow

1. No distractions while reloading i.e TV, conversations, ODT etc.
2. Develop a system and be consistent in following each step every time.
3. Check your powder measures often to insure consistency and no double charges.
4. If you are not sure if you missed a step, stop and start over.
5. When in doubt, ask for help.

Good luck on a fun and rewarding hobby. There will always be someone here to offer advise, to ask about various loads and try and answer any questions you may have.

Great advice!

I would add: Read at least 2 full reloading books cover to cover before you load anything.

Videos are good, but you need a better understanding of what's going on than 'how to' videos are likely to provide.

If you think reloading will be cheaper/less money to produce forget it, if you can get your grandfathers equipment go that way, no way is reloading cheaper, the equipment, time, powder, primers, ammo boxes, reloading trays, area needed to organized and keep supplies.Getting his equipment will allow you the opportunity to really see if this adventure is really for you?

We have been reloading for over 50 years, it is a passion, an obsession, a drive for as close as you can get to produce the most accurate load your equipment will shoot, over, and over again. That takes time and patience, if you easily get bored with hobby's do not even start, it is a life time commitment.

You will always find better and better equipment to buy to bring your reloading up to more accuracy.

This reloading is like trying to keep up an expensive mistress, and it ain't cheap, it is one of the most expensive adventures you will ever take on...

just a simple suggestion to strongly consider. RELOADING IS NOT CHEAP, YOU CAN NOT MAKE QUALITY, ammo with cheap reloading products, or presses... Something we learned about 48 years ago..

If you think reloading will be cheaper/less money to produce forget it, if you can get your grandfathers equipment go that way, no way is reloading cheaper, the equipment, time, powder, primers, ammo boxes, reloading trays, area needed to organized and keep supplies.Getting his equipment will allow you the opportunity to really see if this adventure is really for you?

We have been reloading for over 50 years, it is a passion, an obsession, a drive for as close as you can get to produce the most accurate load your equipment will shoot, over, and over again. That takes time and patience, if you easily get bored with hobby's do not even start, it is a life time commitment.

You will always find better and better equipment to buy to bring your reloading up to more accuracy.

This reloading is like trying to keep up an expensive mistress, and it ain't cheap, it is one of the most expensive adventures you will ever take on...

just a simple suggestion to strongly consider. RELOADING IS NOT CHEAP, YOU CAN NOT MAKE QUALITY, ammo with cheap reloading products, or presses... Something we learned about 48 years ago..

It sure comes in handy at times like this as well.

I'm plinking out ammo that cannot be had for any price.

Back
Top Bottom