• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help needed from the wood workers on here

what is the trick to drilling a 3/4” home in a pine slab that’s 2-1/2” thick for a 3/4” solid bar 8” deep. I’m trying to install a set of floating shelves. The brackets are 3/4” x 8” and I’m using a 3/4” wood bit. I’ve tried to wallow out the home and even used a round file but it will not go all the way in.
45acp works well.

Oh Lawd...I just googles that. I'm having to freehand this with a homemade jig. I don't think I have a means to use one of those. thatbwould take a huge drill press to go 8" in a 12" board.
Freehand? You haven't made a jig? Good Lawd. You need a carpenter. Or, sand those dowels down, LOL!

I need pics. Drilling a hole that deep is going to be difficult. Sounds like a bigger bit would fix your problems though

Here are the shelves stacked up. the brackets are already on the wall.
F62968CE-7453-4E48-BA64-2D66EDA1EDCC.jpeg

EB1E8C07-1333-47DA-B013-1A9C76219628.jpeg

Sounds like you need a bigger bit to help with drilling a little out of square. I would think you could put caulk or silicone into the hole and that would fix any wobble you might have in it. An 8 inch deep hole is going to be difficult to drill I don't think a paddle bit would do it.

Back
Top Bottom